Monica (Monica's Gang)
|Monica's Gang's character|
|First appearance||Removable Newspaper strips of 1963|
|Created by||Maurício de Sousa|
|Family||Mrs. Luísa (Mother), Mr. Souza (Father)|
Monica is the main character of Monica's Gang (Turma da Mônica) comic strips. She was created in 1963. Mauricio based the character on his own daughter, who is also named Monica. Monica's hair is influenced by a haircut his older daughter Mariângela gave her once when she was a kid. In 2007, Monica became a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.
His own comic book was launched in 1970 and is also the first comic of Monica's Gang, initially called Monica and Her Gang (Mônica e Sua Turma).
Monica is a girl of 7 years described as possessing powerful (usually even superhuman) strength, which she uses to beat up boys who tease her, or to defend herself and her friends. She is known by the other characters as the "owner of the street". She is always carrying her blue stuffed rabbit called Samson (Sansão), which she uses as a weapon, though she's also able to fight with her barehands. She is often at odds with Jimmy Five, but backs him up whenever he gets into trouble. Monica's best friend is Maggy. Monica's also very shy to date boys, and she often causes trouble when she tries to talk or impress them. Her buckteeth (more precisely the maxillary central incisor) are her trademark, but also the main reason for people to call her toothy.
Relatives and friends
- Dona Luísa (Mrs. Luísa) – Monica's mother. Works as a designer for pieces of furniture.
- Seu Souza (Mr. Souza) – Monica's father. He is based on Mauricio de Sousa himself, although the surnames are slightly different (Souza and Sousa). He works in a business company.
- Samson (Sansão) – Monica's blue rabbit toy. Initially, he didn't have a name, "Samson" was suggested by Roberta Carpi, in 1983. Samson is not only Monica's favorite toy, but also the "weapon" that she uses on whoever calls her by names she doesn't like. Samson is a constant victim of Jimmy Five, Smudge or other boys who love to tie his ears in knots.
- Ditto (Monicão – a portmanteau of "Mônica" and "cão", dog in Portuguese, which can also mean Big Mônica)) – Ditto is Monica's pet. He was a gift from Jimmy and Smudge, who didn't remember to bring one to Monica's party. Ditto looks so much like her (including the Banana-like hair and the prominent teeth) that the boys decided to buy it with the initial purpose of mocking her as soon as they saw the pooch on a pet shop window. However, their plan backfired, as both Ditto and Monica got along immediately, and now stick together. Among the pets of Monica's Gang, Ditto is the most active. He is sometimes portrayed as having super strength, which often leads him or Monica to get into troublesome situations.
- BRAZZIL - News from Brazil - Monica, Cascao, Cebolinha - Mauricio de Sousa's Comics
- Mônica 30 Anos- Edição Comemorativa- Ed. Globo, 1993 (Portuguese)
- Beloved cartoon character Mônica is the newest National Ambassador for UNICEF Brazil
- de Sousa, Mauricio (2011). "Por Que Todo Mundo Vai Embora?". Mônica - Amigos Especiais (in Portuguese) (20 ed.). São Paulo: Panini Comics. pp. 4–30.
- de Sousa, Mauricio (2011). "Sente Só os Bichinhos". Mônica - Amigos Especiais (in Portuguese) (48-49 ed.). São Paulo: Panini Comics. pp. 35–38.
- Monica at Mônica’s Gang official website (English)