M-147 (Michigan highway)
|Maintained by MDOT|
|Length:||0.505 mi (0.813 km)|
|Existed:||1936 – 1991|
|West end:||M‑106 near Jackson|
|East end:||State Prison of Southern Michigan|
M-147 was a state trunkline highway in the U.S. state of Michigan. The route started at M-106 just north of Jackson and stopped at the entrance of State Prison of Southern Michigan. The route of M-147 was transferred to local control in 1991 after being signed originally in 1936.
M-147 started at an intersection with M-106 west of the State Prison of Southern Michigan property. From there, the trunkline ran about a half mile (0.8 km) due east to the prison gate and terminated. Just east of the terminus was a branch line of the Grand Trunk Western Railroad. In 1976, a newspaper article said that "it's ... the second shortest highway on Michigan's state highway system, but for those who travel it one way, M-147 is the longest road in the world" in discussing its role as the connection to the state prison.
|0.505||0.813||State Prison of Southern Michigan front gate|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Michigan State Highway Department & Rand McNally (December 1, 1935). Official Michigan Highway Map (Map). Scale not given. Lansing: Michigan State Highway Department. § M11.
- Michigan State Highway Department & Rand McNally (June 1, 1936). Official Michigan Highway Map (Map). Scale not given. Lansing: Michigan State Highway Department. § M11.
- Michigan Department of State Highways and Transportation (July 1, 1978). Control Section Atlas (Map). Scale not given. Lansing: Michigan Department of State Highways and Transportation.
- Michigan Department of Transportation (1991). Michigan Department of Transportation Map (Map). 1 in≈14.5 mi / 1 in≈23 km. Lansing: Michigan Department of Transportation. § M11.
- Michigan Department of Transportation (1992). Michigan Department of Transportation Map (Map). 1 in≈14.5 mi / 1 in≈23 km. Lansing: Michigan Department of Transportation. § M11. OCLC 318947496.
- United States Geological Survey (1976). Jackson North Quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. Reston, VA: United States Geological Survey. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "The Long & Short of State Highways". Easy Livin'. Gaylord Herald Times. July 30, 1976. p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 4, 2011. Retrieved June 3, 2011.
Route map: Bing
- M-147 at Michigan Highways