|Usthaz M.A.M. Mansoor
الشيخ منصور أستاذ
At his residence in Akurana
|Born||Muhamed Abusaly Muhamed Mansoor
1 July 1958
Akurana, Kandy, Dominion of Ceylon
|Education||Bachelor of Arts (Honors)|
|Alma mater||University of Naleemiah
Azhar College Akurana
|Occupation||President of miir|
|Organization||Mishkath Institute for Islamic Research (MIIR)|
|Known for||Dawah (دعوة), Tafsir (تفسير)|
|Children||Two sons and a daughter|
Usthaz M.A.M. Mansoor (Arabic: الشيخ منصور أستاذ; born 1 July 1958) is a prominent Sri Lankan Islamic scholar, theologian, author, and educator. Usthaz Mansoor widely regarded as one of the most influential Islamic thinkers in the Sri Lankan history. His Arabic language eloquence is hailed above his first language (Tamil), what acclaimed him as the most prominent tafsir scholar in Sri Lanka. He graduated from the University of Naleemiah (Ja'miah Naleemiah) in 1981 and appointed as a lecturer in the same year by the university. He served as a senior lecturer at the time of his retirement after 22 years (1981 to 2002).
- 1 Biography
- 2 Works
- 2.1 Jamaat-e-Islami (Arabic: جماعتِ اسلامی)
- 2.2 'Meelparvai' (Tamil: மீள்பார்வை) Newspaper
- 2.3 Mishkath Institute for Islamic Research (MIIR)
- 2.4 Islamic Open University
- 2.5 Live Web-cast
- 3 Thought, views, and Statements
- 3.1 Schools of Thoughts – Madhhab (Arabic: مذهب)
- 3.2 Political aspects of Islam
- 3.3 Muslim Minority Jurisprudence (Arabic: فقه الأقليات)
- 3.4 Concept of Wasatiyya (Arabic: وسطية )
- 3.5 The Arab Spring (Arabic: الربيع العربي)
- 3.6 Erdogan' Visionary
- 3.7 Religious Coexistence in Sri Lanka
- 3.8 Death of Muammar Gaddafi
- 3.9 Execution of Rizana Nafeek
- 4 International Influences
- 5 Books and Publications
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Mansoor was born in the village of Pagollamada, Akurana on 1 July 1958, a neighbouring village of where former Sri Lankan Minister of Foreign Affairs, Abdul Cader Shahul Hameed was born. Usthaz Mansoor has been active in the field of Da'wah since 1978 to present.
He is the founder and president of Mishkath Institute for Islamic Research (MIIR), an organisation work from the grassroots level of Sri Lankan Muslim society especially for the transformation of modern secular-oriented Muslims intellectuals to Islamically oriented intellectuals.
He was the main architect of establishing Akurana bait al-zakat (almshouse) in 2004; its business model is widely adopted to establish bait al-zakat in different parts of Sri Lanka. He represents numourous standard and ad hoc committees across Sri Lanka and other countries.
Usthaz Mansoor was highly impressed by the theories of Muslim Brotherhood in 1988 and he tried to use some of its teaching and ways to preach Islam in Sri Lanka. However he was very much clear that Muslims of Sri Lanka, being a minority amongst multi religious presence, should be trained to be more moderated and more flexible community. He promoted Muslims of Sri Lanka towards cohobitance and co existence with others. He totally rejected any violence in any form in the name of Islam.
Usthaz Mansoor founded this bi-monthly newspaper in 1994, newspaper dedicated in addressing Sri Lankan Muslims issues from all corners. The newspaper has been successfully publishing from Colombo since founded.
Mishkath Institute for Islamic Research (MIIR)
He is the founder president of MIIR, an organisation work from the grassroots level of Sri Lankan Muslim society especially for the transformation of modern secular-oriented Muslims intellectuals to Islamically oriented intellectuals.The MIIR has five main divisions focused on the development of Sri Lankan Muslims.
Islamic Learning and Academic Development
Sharia (Islamic law)
Contemporary Islamic Arts
Child Development Programs
Islamic Open University
Every Friday, his two hours public- lecture series cover wide range of topics. Every single of his lecture is webcast to global Tamil speaking communities via popular online video streaming- Ustream. His live webcast attracts viewers not only from Sri Lanka also, India, UK, USA, Japan, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and UAE.
Thought, views, and Statements
Political aspects of Islam
The term '’Wasatiyya'’( وسطية) derives from the word Wasat – وسط (Islamic centrism, Islamic counterbalance). Yusuf al-Qaradawi, probably the one who coined and made popular this term to global extent. Usthaz Mansoor holds the concept of Wasatiyya, opinions of originating from the view of separating oneself from the two opposing extremes ideologies. One of the important aims of Usthaz Mansoor and his MIIR is to provide education and training to Sri Lankan Muslims on how decisions in political and social life not limited to a choice between westernisation and extreme religious view, but centring minds and activities in between—balance in action.
Usthaz Mansoor deeply inspired by the Turkish Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, he praised him as a visionary Islamic leader with charismatic leadership quality in the recent history of Islam. He believes Erdogan's political ideology framework is the ideal model for the turbulent Muslim world today to emulate.
Religious Coexistence in Sri Lanka
Death of Muammar Gaddafi
Execution of Rizana Nafeek
Despite being a subcontinent Islamic scholar, Usthaz Mansoor has great influence from the international arena. He met numerous Islamic scholars from other parts of the world, including;
- Yusuf Al Qaradawi (Egypt)
- Mohammed al-Ghazali (Saudi Arabia)
- Abul Hasan Ali Hasani Nadwi (India)
- Muhammad Ahmad al-Rashid (Iraq)
- Nadir Al Noori (Kuwait)
Books and Publications
Book Translations (Arabic to Tamil):
|Book Translations (Arabic to Tamil)|
- குடும்பம் என்ற நிறுவனமும், பெண் வகிக்கும் பாத்திரமும் (Family as an Institution and the Role of Woman)
- முஹம்மது (ஸல்) அவர்களின் கற்பித்தல் முறைமைகள் (Teaching Methodology of prophet Muhammed)
- மனித உரிமைகள் பாதுகாப்பு நிறுவன மயப்படலின் அவசியம் ஓர் இஸ்லாமிய பார்வை (Importance of Institutionalising Human rights: Islamic Perspective)
- ஆரம்ப கால முஸ்லிம்களின் எழுச்சியும் எமது சமகால நிலையும் by அலி இஸ்ஸத் பிகோபிச் (ரஹ்) Alija Izetbegović (Islamic Renaissance and Contemporary Islamic World)
- இலங்கையில் இஸ்லாமிய தஃவா – பொது நோக்கு (Dawah (دعوة) in Sri Lanka – General Overview)
- "WAMY- Sri Lanka". Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Mishkath Institute for Islamic Research (MIIR)". Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Akurana Bait Al-Zakat-About Us". Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "'Meelparvai' மீள்பார்வை History". Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Introduction to MIIR
- Official Live Web-casting Channel of Sheikh Usthaz M.A.M.Mansoor
- J. Skovgaard-Petersen and B. Graf (2009). The Global Mufti: The Phenomenon of Yusuf al-Qaradawi C. Hurst & Co. (Publishers) Ltd. ISBN 978-1850659396, pp.213–228
- '’Wasatiyya'’ (وسطية)
- Tayyip Erdogan, a visionary Islamic leader?
- Family as an Institution and the Role of Woman
- Teaching Methodology of prophet Muhammed
- Importance of Institutionalising Human rights: Islamic Perspective
- Islamic Renaissance and Contemporary Islamic World
- Dawah (دعوة) in Sri Lanka – General Overview
- Official website
- M.A.M. Mansoor Video on YouTube
- M.A.M. Mansoor on Facebook
- Fatwa Collections of M.A.M. Mansoor