Born in Egypt, Abdel Haleem learned the Qur'an by heart during his childhood, and is now a hafiz. In 2004, Oxford University Press published his translation of the Qur'an into English. He has also published several other works in this field.
As a practicing Muslim, Abdel Haleem abides by Qur'an and authentic prophetic teachings, arguing for example that British Muslims, until they give up their citizenship or permit to live in United Kingdom, fighting against British forces in the Afghanistan conflict are violating the instructions of the Qur'an.
Professor Abdel Haleem was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the Queen's 2008 Birthday Honours. in recognition of his services to Arabic culture, literature and to inter-faith understanding.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad and Badawi, Elsaid M (2005): Dictionary of Qur'anic Usage. E. J. Brill.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2004): The Qur'an: a New Translation. Oxford World's Classics Hardcovers Series. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (1999): Understanding the Qur'an: themes and style. London: I B Tauris.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad, translator (1995): Chance or creation? God's design in the Universe, attributed to Jahiz, translated and introduced. Reading, Berkshire: Garnet.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad and Robinson, Danielle, editors. (2006): The Moral World of the Qur'an. London: IB Tauris. Chapter in Book
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2006): 'Islam, Religion of the Environment.' In: Cotran, E. and Lau, M., (eds.), Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law. Netherlands: E.J. Brill, pp. 403–410.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2006): 'Arabic and Islam.' In: Brown, Keith, (ed.), Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics. Oxford: Elsevier, pp. 34–37.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2006): 'Qur'an and Hadith.' In: Winter, Tim, (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Classical Islamic Theology. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (1999): 'Human Rights in Islam and the United Nations Instruments.' In: Cotran, E and Sherif, A, (eds.), Democracy the rule of law and Islam. London: Kluwer Law International, pp. 435–453. Article
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2002): 'The Prophet Muhammad as a Teacher: implications for Hadith literature.' Islamic Quarterly, vol. XLVI (2). pp. 121–137.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (1994): 'Qu'ranic Orthography: the written presentation of the recited text of the Qur'an.' Islamic Quarterly, 38 (3). pp. 171–192.
- SOAS Staff: Muhammad Abdel Haleem
- Edinburgh University Press: Journal of Qur'anic Studies Editorial Board
- Oxford University Press: The Qur'an: Translated by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem
- David F. Ford: The Launch of The Qur'an: A New Translation by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem; Address by Professor David Ford
- Khaleel Mohammed: Assessing English Translations of the Qur'an: "as a believer, he writes..."
- BBC News: 'UK Muslims must obey UK law'
- The London Gazette: . 14 June 2008.
- SOAS: SOAS academic awarded an OBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- The Online Quran Project includes the Qur'an translation, The Qur'an: a New Translation, of Abdel-Haleem.
- Qur'an Presentations Based on Abdel Haleem Translation
- An interview with Abdel Haleem about his Qur'an translation.