M. A. Wazed Miah
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2012)|
|M A Wazed Miah (Sudha Miah)
এম এ ওয়াজেদ মিয়া
February 16, 1942|
Fatehpur, Pirganj, Rangpur District, British Raj (now Bangladesh)
|Died||May 9, 2009
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka (1962)
Durham University (1967)
|Spouse(s)||Sheikh Hasina (m. 1967–2009)|
|Children||Sajeeb Wazed Joy
Saima Wazed Putul
|Parent(s)||Abdul Quader Miah (father)
Dr. M. A. Wazed Miah (Bengali: ড. এম এ ওয়াজেদ মিয়া; 16 February 1942 – 9 May 2009) was a Bangladeshi nuclear scientist, the writer of a number of well-known texts in physics and some political history books, a former Chairman of the Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission and husband of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Dr. Miah, who was known to his family members as Sudha Miah, was born on 16 February 1942 in the village of Fatehpur (Miah Bari) at Pirganj, Rangpur District. His father was Abdul Quader Miah and mother was Moyzunnessa. He was the youngest among three sisters and four brothers. To get the best education, from Class Five he was sent to board at Rangpur Zila School, from where he ultimately passed Matriculation in First Division with Distinction.
After passing the HSC exam, in 1958, he followed in the footsteps of his eldest sister's son, eminent physicist Dr. Abdul Qayyum Sarker and took admittance into the Department of Physics, Dhaka University.
Some of the educational records of Wazed Miah have been given chronologically as below:
- In 1956 he passed the Matriculation Examination (later called SSC) of East Pakistan Secondary Education Board in the First Division with Distinction from Rangpur Zila School.
- In 1958 he passed the Intermediate Science Examination of Rajshahi University (later called HSC) from Rajshahi Government College, Rajshahi.
- In 1958 he was admitted into the Department of Physics, Dhaka University.
- In 1961 he passed the Bachelor of Science (Physics) (Honours) and was placed 2nd in the First Class.
- In 1962 he passed the Master of Science Examination and secured the top position in the First Class.
- He completed the Diploma of Imperial College London Course in 1963-64 education year from Imperial College London, London.
- In 1967 he was awarded the Doctor of Philosophy degree in Physics from Durham University, England.
His thesis was on bootstrap hypothesis in theoretical particle physics (high energy nuclear physics), and he worked under one of the foremost physicists of that time, Prof. E.J. Squires.
- In 1961-1962 he was the Vice-President (VP) as a leader of the Chhatra League of the Fazlul Haque Hall Student Union in University of Dhaka.
- In 1962 he was arrested for movement against education commission and was imprisoned.
- He never played any active official role in the Awami League after his marriage to Sheikh Hasina.
Dr. Wazed Miah married Sheikh Hasina, elder daughter of the father of the nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on November 17, 1967, when Sheikh Mujib was in jail awaiting the trial of Agartala Case brought against him for "conspiring to secede from Pakistan". They have a son Sajeeb Wazed Joy and a daughter Saima Wazed Putul.
- Mr. Wazed Miah joined in the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission on April 1, 1963.
- In 1969 Dr. Wazed Miah got the Associate-ship of Italy-based International Centre for Theoretical Physics of Pakistani Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam. There he was engaged in a research project under this world-renowned scientist. In the same year, he returned home to Pakistan and continued with the Atomic Energy Research Centre.
- He was engaged in research work at the New Delhi based laboratory of Atomic Energy Commission of India during 1975-1982, during the period of exile of the remainder of the Mujib family after the bloody coup of August 15, 1975.
- After his return to Bangladesh, he joined the Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission, and eventually retired as its Chairman in 1999.
Wazed Miah died on 9 May 2009, Saturday at 16.25 (UTC+6). He had for long suffered from high blood pressure, heart disease, renal failure, diabetes and asthma. He had a by-pass operation a few years ago, and angioplasty in Singapore only a few months before his death.
After janaza at different places, he was buried at 15:00 (UTC+6) on 10 May 2009 (Sunday) at family graveyard in his native village at Pirganj, Rangpur.
- Fundamentals Of Thermodynamics by MA Wazed Miah (University Press, Dhaka, 1988)
- Fundamentals of Electromagnetics by MA Wazed Miah (Tata-McGraw-Hill, 1982)
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibke Ghire Kichhu Ghatana O Bangladesh (A Bangla Memoirs)
- Bangladesher Rajniti O Sarkarer Chalchitra (A Bangla Memoirs)