M. B. Sreenivasan
He was born Manamadurai Balakrishnan Srinivasan to an orthodox Tamil Brahmin family on 19 September 1925 in Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh. He had his schooling at P.S. High School, Chennai. During his college days at Madras Presidency College, he was attracted to communist ideals and joined the Madras Students Organisation. His acquaintance with Nimoy Ghosh, a Bengali director, paved his entry into films. His first film music score was written to the words of noted Tamil lyricist, Jayakanthan, for the Tamil film Pathaitheriyathpaar. He played a major part in the formation of Indian Peoples Theatre Association (IPTA).
He formed the Madras Youth Choir in 1971, which sings Indian Choral Music, based at Chennai. You can contact the choir at www.madrasyouthchoir.org. MYC sings choral compositions of MBS. They have released a twin cd Pallupaduvome by Charsur and propose to release a children's CD Poo Vaenuma that was composed by MBS.
He had also acted in a Tamil movie, Agraharathil Kazhutai.
He was married to Zahida Kitchlew, a Kashmiri Muslim, who was the daughter of the famous freedom fighter Dr. Saifuddin Kitchlew. They had a son. None of them are still alive.
M. B. Sreenivasan died of a heart attack in the Lakshadweep islands on 9 March 1988.
Major work: Malayalam film music
MBS produced many hits in Malayalam films. His style of music involved only minimal orchestration and were noted for their simple lucidity. He is the one who introduced the legendary singer K. J. Yesudas to film industry.
- Oru Vattom Koodiya
- Chaithram Chaayam Chaalichu
- Bharathamuniyoru Kalam Varachu
- Mizhikalil Nirakathiraayi
- Sharadhindhu Malardeepa
- Ente Kadinjool Pranayakadhayile Penkodi
- Idavazhiyile Poocha Mindaa Poocha
- Manivathoorile Aayiram Shiva Raathrikal
- Puthiya Akasam Puthiya Bhoomi
- Valarthu Mrigangal
- Oru Kochu Swapnam
- Panchavadi Palam
- Lekhayude Maranam Oru Flashback
- 1973 - Best Music Director
- 1978 - Best Music Director - Bandhanam
- 1979 - Best Music Director - Idavazhiyile Poocha Mindappoocha, Ulkkadal
- 1981 - Best Music Director - Different Films
- MB Sreenivasan at the Internet Movie Database
- Weaver of melodies, from The Hindu
- Madras Youth Choir website
- MB Sreenivasan website
- MB Sreenivasan at MSI
|This biographical article related to film in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|