M. R. C. Greenwood
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Mary Rita Cooke Greenwood (born April 11, 1943) is the President of the University of Hawaiʻi. She also holds an appointment as a Distinguished Professor Emerita of Nutrition and Internal Medicine at the University of California, Davis and was formerly an Adjunct Professor of Public Health and Nutrition at the University of California, Berkeley. Greenwood is a nationally and internationally known expert on obesity and diabetes. Previously, she held various positions in the University of California (UC) system: as Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, UC Office of the President; Chancellor of UC Santa Cruz; and Dean of Graduate Studies and Vice Provost at UC Davis. However, she was mired in controversy, and abruptly resigned as second-in-command at the UC system.She had created a management job at UC headquarters for a friend with whom she owned rental property, and a subordinate, Winston Doby, improperly helped create a year-long internship for her son at UC Merced.
She was best known as the Associate Director for Science in the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, during the Clinton Administration. She also served as President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1999. In addition she has been President of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)—now the Obesity Society; and also President of the American Society of Clinical Nutrition.
Greenwood received her Ph.D. in Physiology, Developmental Biology, and Neurosciences from Rockefeller University. She did postdoctoral study at Columbia University. She obtained the A.B. degree in Biology, Summa cum laude, from Vassar College.
On May 06, 2013, Greenwood announced her retirement from the University of Hawaiʻi as President.
- "No.2 official at UC quits suddenly:University probes possibility of favoritism in hiring of friend and son of provost". San Francisco Chronicle. November 5, 2005. Retrieved May 11, 2009.
- University of Hawaii President
- University of California official faculty synopsis
- Greenwood cited in the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Greenwood lauded at Vassar
- Greenwood profiled on Forbes
- Greenwood featured in Condé Nast Portfolio
- UH regents select Greenwood as new school president
- MRC Greenwood and "A Powerful Coterie of larcenous. . . ." (UH's next system President?)
- Executive compensation at UC: MRC Greenwood and the $871 million dollar secret
- Greenwood announces retirement