M. S. Ananth
|M S Ananth|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology, Madras|
|Alma mater||University of Florida, Gainesville, Alagappa College of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Keith E. Gubbins|
|Notable awards||Herdillia award for excellence in basic research in chemical engineering (IIChE 1994)|
|This section requires expansion. (June 2011)|
Ananth is an alumnus of Alagappa College of Technology, Chennai where he completed his Bachelor's in Chemical engineering with a gold medal. Subsequently, he obtained his M.E. and Ph.D.(1972) degrees from University of Florida, Gainesville. His doctoral work at the University of Florida was on molecular thermodynamics, and his advisor was Professor Keith E. Gubbins, a famous British-born internationally renowned scientist, who figures in the list of "hundred great chemical engineers" in America after the post-war years, and who is presently a distnguished professor at the North Carolina State University, Raleigh.
He was a visiting faculty at Princeton University(1982–83) and a visiting scientist at National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder, Colorado(1990–91). He was a Visiting Scientist in the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder, Colorado (1990–91), in RWTH, Aachen, Germany (Summer 1983 and Summer 1999) and a Visiting Thermodynamics Expert in Aspen Tech, Massachusetts, USA (Summer 1991).
He has held various senior positions such as Head of the Department, Dean of Academic Courses and Dean of Academic Research.
Ananth is the head of NPTEL's Project Implementation committee. He also serves on the Board of companies including Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited, Neyveli Lignite Corporation and Medlab Asia.
Awards, honors and memberships
- Herdillia award for excellence in basic research in chemical engineering (IIChE 1994)
- Fellow, Indian Institute of Chemical Engineering
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering
- "PROF. M.S. ANANTH IS THE NEW DIRECTOR OF IIT-CHENNAI". Govt. of India, Press Information Bureau. December 21, 2001. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- "Scientific Indian". The Hindu. September 29, 2011. Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- "New Director for IIT-Madras". The Hindu. December 22, 2001. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- Mohanty, Meera (December 8, 2005). "We want action, not daya or karuna". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- NPTEL FAQ
- "Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd, Officers and Directors, Ananth, M. S., Brief biography". Reuters Finance. Retrieved 2009-07-11.