|Native name||Sanjayan Muttulingam|
M. Sanjayan is an American conservation scientist, writer and Emmy-nomiated television news contributor, specializing in the role of conservation in improving human well-being, wildlife and the environment. He is also referred to as Sanjayan, using one name as is Tamil custom. He is executive vice president and senior scientist at Conservation International and host of the upcoming television series Earth – A New Wild, produced by National Geographic Television in association with Passion Pictures, which will air on PBS in February 2015. He also was featured in Grist November 19, 2014, for a story about the PBS series. 
Prior to Conservation International, Sanjayan was lead scientist at The Nature Conservancy. His scientific work as been published in peer-reviewed journals Science, Nature and Conservation Biology and his expertise has received extensive media coverage, including Vanity Fair, Outside, Time and The Atlantic,. His television experience includes serving as a correspondent for Years of Living Dangerously, the 2014 Emmy-nominated climate change series and hosting and contributing to television programs on The Discovery Channel and the BBC. In 2009, he appeared as a guest on Late Show with David Letterman. He also writes for The Huffington Post.
In May 2012, CBS News named Sanjayan its science and environmental contributor and his 2013 CBS Evening News report on elephant poaching was nominated for an Emmy in the investigative journalism category.
National Geographic Society recently selected Sanjayan for its Explorers Council, a distinguished group of top scientists, researchers and explorers who provide advice and counsel to the Society across disciplines and projects. Sanjayan is also a Catto fellow at the Aspen Institute and a senior advisor to the Clinton Global Initiative.
Born in Sri Lanka, Sanjayan and his family moved to Sierra Leone in 1972. He moved to the United States to study at the University of Oregon, where he received both a B.S. in biology and a M.S. in ecology. In 1997, he earned a Ph. D in biology from the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Bryan Walsh (23 March 2008). "Changing the White Face of the Green Movement". Time Science. Time Inc. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Liz Core (19 November 2014). "Why we’re excited about PBS’ wild new series". Grist. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "The Edge of Extinction". Vanity Fair. May 2008. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "A Conversation With M. Sanjayan, Nature Researcher and TV Host". The Atlantic. 7 Dec 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Powering the Future - The Energy Planet". Discovery Communications, LLC. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Sanjayan". Our Scientists. The Nature Conservancy. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "M. Sanjayan". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Alex Weprin (11 May 2012). "CBS News Adds Manuel Bojorquez, M. Sanjayan". TVNewster. WebMediaBrands Inc. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Abe Streep (27 July 2010). "The Natural". The Nature Conservancy. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Tim Stephens (31 July 1998). "STUDY FINDS CHEETAH POPULATIONS CAN ABSORB HIGH CUB MORTALITY RATES". University of California, Santa Cruz. Retrieved 1 June 2012.