M. Stanley Livingston
|Milton Stanley Livingston|
May 25, 1905|
|Died||August 25, 1986(aged 81)|
|Fields||Physics (accelerator physics)|
|Institutions||UC Berkeley, Cornell University, MIT, Brookhaven National Laboratory|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Ernest Lawrence|
|Known for||participance in cyclotron and strong focusing development|
|Influences||Hans Bethe, Philip M. Morse|
|Notable awards||Enrico Fermi Award (1986)|
|Spouse||Lois Robinson, Margaret Hughes|
Milton Stanley Livingston (May 25, 1905 – August 25, 1986) was an American accelerator physicist, a notable co-inventor of the cyclotron (together with Ernest Lawrence) and co-discoverer (with Ernest Courant and Hartland Snyder) of the strong focusing principle, which allowed development of modern large-scale particle accelerators.
Livingston was the chairman of the Accelerator Project at Brookhaven National Laboratory, director of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator, a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a professor of physics at MIT, and a recipient of the Enrico Fermi Award from the United States Department of Energy.
Awards and Distinctions
- honorary degrees from Dartmouth College (1963), Hamburg, Germany (1967), and Pomona College (1971).
- elected to the National Academy of Sciences (1970)
- Enrico Fermi Award from United States Department of Energy (1986)
Education and Career
- 1905: born in Brodhead, Wisconsin
- 1926: AB, Pomona College
- 1928: MA, Dartmouth College
- 1931: PhD, University of California, Berkeley
- 1931–1934: University of California, Berkeley, Research Associate
- 1934–1938: Cornell University, Assistant Professor of Physics
- 1938–1970: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Professor of Physics
- 1946–1948: Brookhaven National Laboratory, Chair, Accelerator Project
- 1970–1986: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Emeritus Professor of Physics
- Courant, E. D. (1997). "Milton Stanley Livingston". Biographical Memoirs (National Academies Press) 72.
- Ernest Lawrence and M. Stanley Livingston (University of California, Berkeley)
- Courant, E. D.; Livingston, M. S.; Snyder, H. S. (1952). "The Strong-Focusing Synchrotron—A New High Energy Accelerator". Physical Review 88 (5): 1190–1196. Bibcode:1952PhRv...88.1190C. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.88.1190.
- Blewett, John P.; Courant, Ernest D. (June 1987). "Obituary: M. Stanley Livingston". Physics Today 40 (7): 88–92. doi:10.1063/1.2820097.
- Array of Contemporary Physicists: M. Stanley Livingston
- "Livingston, Milton Stanley." Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography. 2008. Encyclopedia.com.
- (May 3, 1970) "Science academy adds 50 members; Election in Capital Honors Research Achievements", New York Times