M. T. Cheng
M. T. Cheng or Cheng Minde (Chinese: 程民德; Pinyin: Chéng Míndé; 1917–1998), was a notable Chinese mathematician. Cheng was the main founder of Peking University Mathematical Research Institute, and longtime head of the Department of Mathematics of Peking University.
In 1935, Cheng became a student of the Department of Electrical Engineering of Zhejiang University in Hangzhou. Due to Su Buqing's advice, Cheng later transferred into the Department of Mathematics. Cheng graduated BS and MS (in autumn 1942).
From 1943 to 1946, Cheng was a lecturer at the Department of Mathematics of Zhejiang University. From 1946 to 1947, Cheng lectured at the mathematical department of Peking University.
In 1947, Cheng went to USA to continue his study at Princeton University. His doctoral advisor was Salomon Bochner. Cheng earned his PhD in 1949, and did his postdoctoral research at Princeton till Jan 1950.
Cheng went back to China. From Jan 1951 to 1952, Cheng was an associate professor and later professor at the Department of Mathematics of Tsinghua University. Since 1952, Cheng was a professor at the Department of Mathematics of Peking University. From 1978 to 1988, Cheng was the Director of the Mathematical Research Institute of Peking University.
Cheng was elected into Chinese Academy of Sciences as an academician in 1980. From 1982 to 1988, Cheng was the President of Beijing Mathematical Society. From 1983 to 1988, Cheng was a Vice-president of Chinese Mathematical Society.
Cheng died 26 Nov 1998 in Beijing.
- A Great Tree: Memorial Collections of Cheng Minde (Chinese: 一棵挺拔的大树：程民德先生纪念文集); Peking University Press; 1 Nov 2000; ISBN 7-301-01777-4.
- Detailed biographical information of Cheng Minde, from Baidu Chinese internet encyclopedia
- Holeung Ho Lee Foundation: Cheng Minde (M. T. Cheng)
- Detailed biography of Cheng Minde (including photo)
- Biography of Cheng Minde, from the Holeung Ho Lee Foundation (English, including photo)
- Database of members of CAS (Chinese Academy of Sciences): Cheng Minde; from People.com.cn
- 近半个世纪的回顾－程民德 (A Semicentennial Memory - Cheng Minde); from Academic Divisions of the Chinese Academy of Sciences