MAD TV (Greece)
|Launched||June 6, 1996|
|Owned by||Andreas Kouris|
|Picture format||4:3 (576i, SDTV)|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 601|
|NOVA Cyprus||Channel 501|
|Music of Greece|
|Media and performance|
|Nationalistic and patriotic songs|
|National anthem||"Hymn to Liberty"|
|Related areas||Cyprus, Pontus, Constantinople (hasapiko)|
MAD TV (also known as MAD) is a television network in Greece that broadcasts music related programming including video clips, music news and interviews as well as concert footage. It was the first music station in Greece, launched on June 6, 1996 and is run by Andreas Kouris.
MAD TV’s target group ranges from 15 to 24 years old. 90% of its daily program includes all the latest pop, electronic, rock, R&B and hip hop releases and 30 live shows per week. All shows deal with different subjects, ranging from world-wide music news, artist news, Internet, video games, cinema, clubbing, concerts, interviews and documentaries, concerning the majority of the Greek and International artist community. In May 2000, MAD TV launched the first Greek music portal, which provides its users the most up to date worldwide music information along with brand new Internet services.
MAD TV also offers a wide range of B2C and B2B services to the public: Go MAD (interactive service) and MAD Music (5 music-interactive audio channels) available on Nova (DTH satellite platform in Greece), MAD Shop (on line CD shop) through their website, Nova and i-mode Cosmote mobile telephony, MAD Scanner (mobile service for music identification) through Vodafone mobile telephony company, Real time video streaming of MAD TV’s program for 2G and 3G mobile phones, mobile content (ring-tones, logos and MMS) to all the top mobile telephony companies in Greece, music content to internet sites and portals (news, events, artists’ CVs, charts, photos and wallpapers, audio and video streaming, polyphonic audio ring-tones, etc.), and many more.
Since June 16, 2005, MAD TV successfully organises each year the MAD Video Music Awards, a unique Greek music production and awards ceremony, which allows the public to vote for their favorite artists and video clip. On May 26 and 27 of 2005, MAD TV held the 1st conference for the music industry in Greece, Athens Music Forum, which focuses on bringing together representatives from all professional fields that are directly and indirectly related to the music industry. MAD also organizes Secret Concerts, a series of famous artist’s live appearances in front of a small audience in a private and secret place, which give the opportunity to artists to present a special performance with a different repertoire.
MAD TV broadcasts in Athens on the frequencies of 68 UHF (from Mount Hymettus) and 20 UHF (from Mount Parnitha), and on 20 UHF in Thessaloniki as well. MAD is also rebroadcast through several local and regional television stations in Greece, usually for several hours per day.
- Dj Kas
- Themis Georgantas
- Dimitris Karetsos
- Foteini Korre
- Dimitris Mavrokefalidis
- Chakos Pervanidis
- Anna Prelevic
- Mary Retsina
- Mary Synatsaki
- Elias Fragoulis
- Absolut Beat - Entertainment program with information on all the hot spots for dining, dancing, theatre and cinema as well as a look at all the events happening on the weekend, airs Saturday and Sunday at 10pm.
- Cinemad - Weekly series focuses on movie news, trailers and a look at the latest new releases, airs Thursdays at 10pm.
- Charts GR Εlliniko - Greek Top 50 music countdown, airs Saturdays at 6pm.
- DYNAMIX - Dance music clips, airs Saturdays at Midnight.
- Experience Zone - Live Dance music program, airs Saturdays at 9pm.
- Εllinika και Xena Mixer - Greek and foreign music clips.
- First - A look at all the latest releases from Greek and international artists, airs Saturday at Noon.
- Fresh Mixer - Video clips with content suitable for late night, airs Fridays at Midnight.
- Funked - Live interactive program featuring viewer feedback, airs M-F at 9pm.
- Ηeineken Music Report - A look back at all the top music news from the past week, airs Saturdays at 2pm.
- Hronomixani - Classic music clips.
- Juke Box - Music clips requested by viewers.
- Lunch Box - Music news, gossip, clubbing and event information and more, airs M-F at 3pm.
- Mad Files: TV War - Heavy Metal music, airs Wednesday at Midnight.
- Mad Files: Streetbeat - Hip Hop, R&B and Urban music, airs Tuesday at Midnight.
- Mad Files Κυριακής: Post Alternative - Pop and Rock music, airs Thursday at Midnight.
- Mad News - Music and entertainment news updates, airs throughout the day.
- MAD Χ Rays - Live performance from the hottest Greek and international artists, airs Saturdays at 6pm.
- OK - Daily variety program with games and prizes, airs M-F at 5pm.
- Playroom - Daily music program with video clips and prizes given out, airs M-F at 1pm.
- ROOM8 - Recap of the days music and entertainment news, contests, airs M-F at 8pm.
- Top 5 - spotlight on a different artist each day, Monday - Sunday at 12:30pm.
- UK Top - All the top hits from the UK, airs Saturday at 5:30pm.
- US Top - All the top hits from the US, airs Sunday at 5:30pm.
- WWW (What a Wonderful World) - Program that looks at the 'online' world, with a focus on websites and other items of interest to young people, airs M-F at 4pm.
- TV WAR - focuses on heavy metal music, airs Wednesday at 24:00am.
- Trash Me - Late night segment with a logo of a dog, an innuendo for the derogatory Skiladiko (Dog music) genre, which features lower budget "trash" clips that did not traditionally enjoy much broadcasting. Also includes songs that established a cult following in the nightlife.
MAD World and Blue
In December 2005, MAD established, in cooperation with UBI World TV, the first international Greek music channel- MAD World which targets Greeks abroad. MAD World, is on air 24 hours a day, broadcasting all genres of the Greek Music with special daily shows, rockumentaries dedicated to famous Greek artists and special shows that keep the audience informed about the events that take place in Greece. In July 2006, MAD partnered up with Antenna to launch Blue, a channel similar to MAD World but available only to audiences in North America.