|Virginia Key, Miami, Florida, United States|
|School district||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.5|
|Color(s)||Red, Blue, and White
|School Hours||8:00AM to 3:00PM|
Maritime and Science Technology Academy, commonly referred to as MAST Academy, or MAST, is a public high school in Miami, Florida, on Virginia Key. MAST Academy is a magnet school under the governance of Miami-Dade County Public Schools. The school's principal is Josephine Otero, appointed in 2013. As of 2012, US News & World Report ranks MAST as the 96th best high school in the nation as of 2013.
The academic focus of MAST Academy is primarily marine studies. Students choose one of three major areas of study in which a traditional U.S. high school curriculum is infused with maritime-related subjects. These major areas of study are Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences (OAS), Maritime Studies and Culture (MSC), and Marine Related Industries (MRI). Some special course offerings include Marine Science, Oceanography, Solar Energy, Environmental Science, Swimming, and Water Safety.
MAST Academy is located on Virginia Key, a barrier island between Miami and Key Biscayne, across the street from the Miami Seaquarium and within walking distance from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.
In 2012, MAST Academy announced it will expand by 1,700 seats with preference for eligible Key Biscayne residents. It was controversial and highly debated whether residents of the Village of Key Biscayne should be opened up to all Key Biscayne high school students.
Due to the reputation of MAST Academy, Miami-Dade County Public Schools began "franchising" MAST. In 2010, MAST Medical @ Homestead was established. In 2011, José Martí Middle School, introduced its magnet program with a high school expansion in 2011, before completely re-branding itself as José Martí MAST 6-12 Academy in 2013. In 2013, another MAST high school opened at a Florida International University campus.
Awards and recognition
During the 1994-96 and 2006-07 school years, MAST Academy was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
MAST Academy was one of six national finalists in the 2010 White House "Commencement Challenge". People from across the nation voted to determine which school would host President Barack Obama as a commencement speaker.
MAST has established a tradition of academic excellence, and has been ranked among Newsweek's Top 100 High Schools several times. MAST has been listed as one of "Miami-Dade's Best Schools", and, as of 2013, is ranked 11th in Florida.
The school's primary sports are water polo and swimming. The school also offers boy's and girl's basketball teams.
MAST is active in the National Ocean Sciences Bowl Competition, having established a tradition of placing first in the region and a fifth place national showing in 2006. The Black History Brain Bowl team won the 2006 Regional Championships.
MAST's robotics and engineering team, the MAST Academy Mecha Makos, founded in 2006, has competed in numerous competitions including Youth Fair, MATE, FIRST, and FIU's Wall of Wind competition. The Mecha Makos qualified for the VEX World Championship in the 2011, 2012, and 2013 school years.
The Beacon, MAST's student-run newspaper, and the yearbook, Mako Fuka, have received Gold Medals from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- "MAST Academy Overview". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Isensee, Laura (June 13, 2012). "MAST Academy about to be expanded for Key Biscayne students". Miami Herald. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- DeFede, Jim (June 17, 2012). "Facing South Florida: MAST Academy". CBS Local. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "New Magnet Senior High School, MAST @ Homestead to Hold Open House". August 2, 2010. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- McGrory (May 22, 2011). "Miami-Dade district ‘franchises’ popular schools". Miami Herald. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Mursuli, Marlen (August 19, 2013). "MAST@FIU opens its doors". Florida International Univeristy. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF)]". United States Department of Education. Retrieved May 11, 2006.
- "U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 2003 through 2006 (PDF)". United States Department of Education. Retrieved May 11, 2006.
- "CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department". Journal Inquirer. Retrieved November 16, 2006.
- "Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test". The Washington Post. September 29, 2005. Retrieved March 30, 2013."For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- "Voting begins for Commencement Challenge". Today. NBC News. April 23, 2010. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Feito, Yuri (April 26, 2010). "MAST is a finalist for President Obama's Commencement Challenge". Causes. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "MAST Academy Question & Answers". Dadeschools. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "Newsweek Names Ten Florida High Schools to U.S. Top 100". Florida Department of Education. June 27, 2012. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "America's Best High Schools 2011". Newsweek. The Daily Beast. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Chapple, Renee. "Miami-Dade's Best Schools". About. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Medina, Marisol (July 29, 2013). "MAST Academy at BBC Begins in August". Florida International University Student Media. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "MAST Academy Student Body". U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Mast Academy". Public School Review. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "MAST Academy About". Go Makos. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Coast Guard Seventh District commander visits MAST Academy". United States Coast Guard News. February 27, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Congratulations! Go Makos!". Go Makos. March 5, 2012. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "1999 Scholastic Crown Recipients". Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Election 2012: Akierra Missick". Radio Turks and Caicos 107 FM. August 11, 2012. Retrieved October 30, 2012.
- "PNP Cabinet Sworn, PDM Challenges 4 District Results". Turks & Caicos Free Press. November 19, 2012. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- MAST Academy
- M-DCPS School Information - MAST Academy
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Maritime & Science Technology Academy, National Center for Education Statistics