MATE (desktop environment)
MATE 1.6 running on Debian Wheezy
|Developer(s)||Perberos and MATE Developers|
|Initial release||August 19, 2011|
|Stable release||1.6 / April 2, 2013|
|Written in||C, C++, Python|
|Operating system||Unix-like with X11|
|License||GNU LGPL, GNU GPL|
MATE (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate]) is a desktop environment forked from the now-unmaintained code base of GNOME 2. The name derives from yerba mate, a species of holly native to subtropical South America used to prepare a beverage called mate. The renaming is necessary to avoid conflicts with GNOME 3 components.
GNOME 3 replaced the classic desktop metaphor with a new interface built on top of GNOME Shell. It led to some criticism from the Linux community. Many users refused to accept the new GNOME and called for someone to continue development of GNOME 2. The MATE project was started by an Arch Linux user in order to fulfill this task.
Several GNOME applications have been forked and renamed:
- Caja – File manager (from Nautilus)
- Pluma – Text editor (from Gedit)
- Eye of MATE – Image viewer (from Eye of GNOME)
- Atril – Document Viewer (from Evince)
- Engrampa – Compression tool (from File Roller)
- MATE Terminal – Terminal emulator (from GNOME Terminal)
- Marco – Window manager (from Metacity)
Further development 
We consider MATE yet another desktop, just like KDE, Gnome 3, Xfce etc. ... and based on the popularity of Gnome 2 in previous releases of Linux Mint, we are dedicated to support it and to help it improve.
MATE 1.2 was released on 16 April 2012. It is one of the default desktop environments shipped with Linux Mint 12 "Lisa", Linux Mint Debian Edition 201303, Snowlinux 2 "Cream", Sabayon Linux 10, and Fedora 18. MATE packages are also available for Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, openSuse, and Salix OS.
See also 
- "About MATE", MATE, retrieved September 15, 2012 Unknown parameter
- Linus Torvalds Ditches GNOME For Xfce, Digitizor, 2011-08-04, retrieved 2011-11-08, "While you are at it, could you also fork gnome, and support a gnome-2 environment? – Linus Torvalds".
- "A Gnome 2 Fork: The MATE Desktop Environment", ingeek, retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Larabel, Michael (2011-08-17), "A Fork Of GNOME 2: The Mate Desktop", Phoronix, retrieved 2011-12-04.
- "About gtk3", MATE (GitHub), retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "About gtk2", MATE (GitHub), retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Lefebvre, Clem (2011-12-01), "Important fix for MATE – Feedback needed", The Linux Mint Blog, retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Karapetsas, Stefano (2012-01-03), "Undo/Redo in Caja", Stefano Karapetsas's Blog, retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Karapetsas, Stefano (2012-06-17), "What's new in next Caja", Stefano Karapetsas's Blog, retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "MATE: Roadmap". Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Lefebvre, Clem (2011-11-26), "Linux Mint 12 Release Notes", Linux Mint, retrieved 2011-12-04.
- Holwerda, Thom (2011-11-27), "Linux Mint 12 Released", OSNews, retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "Linux Mint Debian 201303 released!". The Linux Mint Blog. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- lxnay (2012-09-13), "Press Release. Sabayon 10", Sabayon Linux, retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Mashal, Dan; Dieter, Rex (2012-07-19), "Features/MATE-Desktop", Fedora Wiki, retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Which distributions is MATE packaged for?, "About", MATE, retrieved 2011-12-11.