MBM Engineering College
|M.B.M. Engineering College, Jodhpur|
|Motto||Faith and Labour|
|Type||Education and Research Institute|
|Chancellor||Governor of Rajasthan|
|Vice-president||Er vijay sharma|
|Dean||Prof. DGM Purohit|
|Location||Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India|
|Campus||Urban, 62 acres (250,905.1 m2)|
The M.B.M. Engineering College was established on 15 August 1951, by the Government of Rajasthan. This was made possible by a donation of Rupees 8,00000/- from Seth Ramcooverji Bangur of Didwana, to perpetuate the memory of his late brother Seth Mugneeramji Bangur, together with Rupees 2,00000/- from the Hanwant Benevolent Fund. Through the efforts of Shri Mathuradas Mathur and Professor A. D. Bohra, the college started functioning in the Ugamji's Bungalow near the railway over bridge leading to Sojati Gate, within two months of obtaining approval from the Government. The laboratories and hostels were housed in the old guest house in Ratanada. After a couple of years, the college was sifted to its present location covering an area of 92000 sq.m. and new hostels were constructed. With the establishment of the Jodhpur University (now J.N. Vyas University) in July 1962, this college became its constituent Faculty of Engineering.
Prof. V. G. Garde who took over as Principal on 3 December 1951 and brought this college on the map of India as a leading Engineering Institution by his exemplary discipline, high academic & technical standards and missionary work spirit. Later on Prof. Hari Singh Choudhary, Prof. S.C. Goyal, Prof. R.M. Advani, Prof. M. L. Mathur, Prof. Alam Singh, Prof. S. Divakaran, Prof. V. S. Bansal, Prof. D. C. Surana,Late Prof. BC Punamia and many more brought the college name and fame.
MBM offers a wide variety of courses of study in engineering and conducts educational programmes leading to the degree of Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and Post Graduate Diploma in the following:
- In 1951, MBM has been started by offering a three-year degree course, leading to Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, and a two-year diploma course in Civil Engineering, with an intake of 35 students in each course.
- In 1957, a Bachelor’s degree in Mining Engineering was started.
- In 1958, Bachelor’s degree courses in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering were started.
- In 1966, Master's degree in Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Mining Engineering were started.
- In 1972, a Bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering was first offered.
- In 1990, a Master's degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering and Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering and Production and Industrial Engineering were started.
- In 1998, a degree course in Chemical Engineering and a Bachelor of Architecture were started. Master in Computer Application was also started.
- In 1999, a Post Graduate Diploma in Stone Technology was started.
- In 2000, the department of Computer Science and Engineering started a degree course in Information technology.
- In 2010 a Post Graduate Diploma in Interior Design was started in Department of Architecture, with the intake of 60 students.
- In 2011 the department of Electronics & Communication has added two more undergraduate B.E. programs in Electronics and Electrical Engineering as well as Electronics and Computer Engineering. While a new degree course named "Bachelor of Building and Construction Technology" was started with the intake of 60 students with the approval of AICTE.
- In 2012, the Bachelor of Architecture course is restarted with the permission of Council of Architecture, with an intake of 40 students.
Legendary personalities like Dr. Rajendra Prasad (President of India), Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (President of India), Shri Govind Ballabh Pant (Home Minister of India), Dr. Man Mohan Singh (Prime Minister of India, that time as a Finance Minister of India) and many more dignitaries have visited this college and appreciated its services in nation building.
Departments and centres
MBM has 11 departments and 3 centres:
- Architecture (since 1998)
- Chemical Engineering (since 1998)
- Civil Engineering (since 1951)
- Computer Science and Engineering (since 1990)
- Electrical Engineering (since 1966)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (since 1972)
- Electronics and Computer Engineering (since 2010)
- Mechanical Engineering (since 1966)
- Mining Engineering (since 1958)
- Production and Industrial Engineering (since 1990)
- Structural Engineering
- Educational Multimedia Research Centre (since 1986)
- Faculty Computer Centre
- Netlab (Internet Laboratory)
Educational Multimedia Research Centre
Educational Multimedia Research Centre (EMMRC), Jodhpur a production and research centre for educational films for UGC-CWCR, has received national recognition for its contribution in the field of electronic media. The Center is fully funded by the University Grants Commission and it is an organization with well-equipped studio and highly trained staff.
The AVRC project (Now Educational Multimedia Research Centre) was sanctioned by the UGC in the year 1986. Since then the centre has been actively engaged in producing Educational TV films. On the basis of the performance evaluation, the UGC upgraded the Centre from AVRC to EMRC (Educational Media Research Centre) in 1991, which became EM2RC (Educational Multimedia Research Center) in September 2004. After producing the first film namely "Desert Bats" in the year 1987, the EMMRC never looked back and has produced 1902 educational TV films (both in Hindi & English taken together) of various subjects including science, commerce, arts, education, literature, culture, folklore, humanity, medical science, engineering etc. Amongst these films, 20 films have won appreciation and awards at the national level; few are:
- Jeevat Ke Dhani: Hanuman Langoor
- Gangaur - Ek Sanskritik Virasat - 1
- Maand: Parampara Ki Pratishruti - 1 & 2
- Worlds Oldest Mountain Chain Aravalli
- Jodhpur Durg - Mehrangarh
- Neem - The Green Goldmine
This department is opened by Dr. S N Vyas sir(prof. IIT Bombay) in 1998. The HOD of department is Dr. Sushil Kumar Saraswat Sir. He completed his master degree from IIT roorkee  in chemical reaction engineering.Dr. Anil Vyas Faculty Adviser was the previous HOD of this department. This department have a lot of other highly skilled faculty and modern equipped laboratery.
There are 12 hostels, 06 for boys and 06 for girls, which are mainly named after ancient Indian universities, mountains and rivers. Hostel no. - 12 is named after Kalpana Chawla - the first Indian American astronaut. These hostels are recognized by their numbers:
- Hostel No. - 1 (Marudhara)
- Hostel No. - 2 (Aravalli)
- Hostel No. - 3 (Vindhyachal)
- Hostel No. - 4 (Nalanda)
- Hostel No. - 5 (Takshashila)
- Hostel No. - 6 (Brahmaputra)
- Hostel No. - 7 (Nilgiri)
- Hostel No. - 8 (Dhawalgiri)
- Hostel No. - 9 (Adger House)
- Hostel No. - 10 (Girls' Main Hostel)
- Hostel No. - 11 (Passive Solar House)
- Hostel No. - 12 (Kalpana Chawala)
"MBM Engineering College Alumni Association" was founded at the time of Silver Jubilee celebration of the college in the year 1976 by the efforts of Prof. Alam Singh, Prof. GK Agarwal, Prof. ML Mathur, Prof. S. Divakaran, Prof. BC Punamia and Prof. D V Talwar. The main objectives of the alumni association are to promote and encourage members for brotherhood, organizing progressive activities in the college, awarding scholarships and prizes to the students. Alumni association:
- Has 17 chapters and more than 6000 members all over the world.
- Has distributed scholarships to around 1000 students.
- Awarding Gold Medals and Silver Medals to the meritorious students.
- Helping most needy girl students of the college by adapting them.
- Has its own building, which was constructed in 1994.
- Organizing Golden Jubilee and Silver Jubilee reunion of the respective batches.
- Celebrated its own "Silver Jubilee" in 2001.
Alumni association organizes reunions for its old alumni every year during the month of December. This year on 21 and 22 December 2013, students of 1963 batch will get a chance to meet each other after 50 years in their "Golden Jubilee" celebration, while students who graduated in 1988 would participate in "Silver Jubilee" celebrations. VK Bhansali (1963 batch) and Rajesh Sharma (1988 batch) are the coordinators.
- Late Prof. BC Punamia, Former Dean & Head of Civil Engineering Department, MBM Engineering College and Author of more than 20 technical course books for engineering students.
- Mahendra Mehta, CEO, Vedanta Resources,
- Er K K Kapila, Chairman, Intercontinental Consultants and Technocrats Pvt. Ltd. (ICT), Delhi
- Er.B.L. Mohatta, Founder & Managing Director of MEC Tube Pvt. Ltd., Delhi
- Er. Madhur Tripathi, H.O.D QA/QC, Bilfinger Berger(Gmbh) (DnS), West Africa
- Deepak Agrawal, former Deputy Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Government of Tamil Nadu
- Bhupendra Kumar Dak, IPS, Commissioner of Police, Jaipur
- Ashok Kumar Jain, IAS, Election Department, Rajasthan.
- Krishna Kumar Khandelwal, IAS, Haryana cadre.
- Arun Kumar Saxena, Advisor Signaling, Indian Railway Board
- Nathu Ram Chowdhary, IES, Indian Railway
- Rakesh Kumar Gupta, CEO, Centre for Development of Stones, Rajasthan
- H. N. Mulpury, Director (Technical), Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, Sambalpur
- Anant Bhargava, IES, Indian Railways
- Akhilesh Joshi,Chief Executive Officer and Whole Time Director, Hindustan Zinc Limited (‘HZL’)
- Pankaj Bhandari Additional General Manager BSNL
- Raman Joshi, Managing Director, Manitowoc
- Vedanta Resources