MCI Management Center Innsbruck
|MCI Management Center Innsbruck |
|Motto||Mentoring the Motivated
The Entrepreneurial School
|Type||Public Private Partnership|
|Endowment||26.4 Mio Euro (2013)|
|Rector||Andreas Altmann |
|Academic staff||240 full-time employees (faculty & management), 830 part-time lecturers (2013)|
|Students||approx. 2,600 (2012), approx. 50% female|
MCI Management Center Innsbruck is an educational institution in Austria offering study programs leading to Bachelor and Master degrees as well as Executive Master programs (MBA, MSc, LL.M.), Executive Certificate programs, Management seminars, Customized programs and research.
History and Organisation
The Management Center Innsbruck (MCI) was founded in 1995/96 as a university center in private law owned largely by public bodies. The funding structure is as follows:
- 75% "Träger-Verein MZT" comprising the Tyrolean regional authority, the Innsbruck local authority, the Tyrolean Chamber of Commerce, the Tyrolean Chamber of Labor, the Federation of Tyrolean Industries, the University of Innsbruck, and the Faculty of Social Science and Economics at the University of Innsbruck
- 12.5% "Träger-Verein Technik"
- 12.5% "Träger-Verein Tourismus"
The work of the MCI is additionally supported by a circle of sponsors comprising companies in a variety of industries.
The MCI has accreditation to provide university of applied science study programs pursuant to Art. 2 of the Austrian University of Applied Sciences Studies Act. It is neither a university in public law, a private university nor a university of applied sciences.
Campus & Student Life
MCI is located in the center of Innsbruck offering 5 different campuses:
- MCI I +II: centrally located between the historic Old Town of Innsbruck and sharing the ground with the Faculty of Theology and the Faculty of Economics & Statistics of Innsbruck University, Universitaetsstrasse 15
- MCI III: Weiherburggasse 15, hosting MCI programs in the field of tourism
- MCI IV: Maximilianstrasse 2, holding MCI programs in the field of engineering and technical sciences
- MCI V: Kapuzinergasse 9
Being part of the Open University Innsbruck concept, MCI and the Innsbruck University share infrastructure like lecture rooms, laboratories, sports facilities and cafeterias.
A co-operation agreement with the University of Innsbruck gives MCI students access to student services provided by Innsbruck University’s like for example libraries, sports facilities, etc.
Bachelor & Master programs
The consecutive Bachelor and Master programs are university of applied science study programs. Between the beginning of the 2005 winter semester and the 2009 winter semester, all MCI study programs were reorganized on the Bachelor/Master model as defined in the European Bologna Process. Students at the MCI can also take advantage of the option to spend a semester at one its 150 partner universities around the world.
|Bachelor programs||Degree||Duration (semesters)||Time model|
|Biotechnology||Bachelor of Science (BSc)||6||Full-time|
|Business & Management||Bachelor of Arts (BA)||6||Full-time & Part-time***|
|Food & Bioresource Technologies||Bachelor of Science (BSc)||6||Full-time & Part-time|
|Management, Communication & IT
||Bachelor of Arts (BA)||6||Full-time|
||Bachelor of Science (BSc)||6||Full-time & Part-time|
|Management & Law||Bachelor of Arts (BA)||6||Full-time|
|Nonprofit, Social & Health Care Management||Bachelor of Arts (BA)||6||Full-time|
|Social Work||Bachelor of Arts (BA)||6||Full-time|
|Tourism Business Studies||Bachelor of Arts (BA)||6||Full-time|
|Environmental, Process & Energy Engineering||Bachelor of Science (BSc)||6||Full-time & Part-time|
|Industrial Engineering & Management||Bachelor of Science (BSc)||6||Full-time & Part-time|
|Master programs||Degree||Duration (semesters)||Time model**|
|Bioresource & Food Engineering (starting fall 2014)||Master of Science (MSc)||4||Part-time|
|Biotechnology||Master of Science (MSc)||4||Full-time|
|Entrepreneurship & Tourism
||Master of Arts (MA)||4||Full-time|
|Environmental, Process & Energy Engineering||Master of Science (MSc)||4||Full-time &Part-time|
|International Business & Law***||Master of Arts (MA)||4||Full-time|
|International Health & Social Management***||Master of Arts (MA)||4||Full-time|
|Management, Communication & IT***||Master of Arts (MA)||4||Full-time|
|Mechatronics - Mechanical Engineering||Master of Science (MSc)||4||Full-time*** & Part-time|
|Social Work, Social Policy & Management||Master of Arts (MA)||4||Full-time|
|Industrial Engineering & Management||Master of Science (MSc)||4||Part-time|
|International Business***||Master of Arts (MA)||4||Part-time|
**The full-time Master study programs are specially organized to enable students to remain in employment during their studies to a certain extent. ***Entirely in English.
Executive Master programs
MCI’s postgraduate Executive Master programs are being offered within the framework of the Austrian University Law and are additionally accredited by the Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA). MCI’s LL.M.-program "International Business & Tax Law" is offered as a dual-degree study program in co-operation with the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management (FSFM). It is evenly split between the locations of Innsbruck and Frankfurt/Main and provides the students with the opportunity to acquire the degrees of MCI and FSFM.
|Executive Master Programs||Degree||Duration (semesters)|
|General Management Executive MBA||MBA||4|
|Master of Science in Management MSc||MSc||4|
|Master in Innovation & Intellectual Property Rights MSc||MSc||4|
|Master of Science in Management MSc||MSc||4|
Executive Certificate Courses
|Controlling & Management|
|Management of Innovations, Products & Processes|
|International Management Program©|
|Management, Psychology & Leadership|
|Patent & License Management|
|Human Resources Management|
|Supply Chain Management|
|Tourism Management & Leadership|
|Tourism Marketing & Innovation|
|Corporate Communications: Strategy|
Credits obtained for an Executive Certificate program are recognized for the above postgraduate Master study programs. Students who complete specific combinations of several certificate programs and write a final thesis to an appropriate academic standard (Master thesis) can be admitted to the academic degree of an MBA, MSc or LL.M.
The MCI also offers about thirty intensive seminars on various subjects such as management, leadership, law and communication. The MCI’s study program and training course offering is also available to companies and organizations requiring tailored in-service training courses throughout the German-speaking world.
The MCI collaborates with a large number of partner universities, where selected students can spend a semester of their study program.
Awards & Rankings
CHE Hochschulranking The latest university ranking by the international center for higher education CHE reveals excellent results for Management Center Innsbruck: its quality-oriented biotechnology, mechatronics and process engineering study programs achieved 23 rankings in the top group. With the excellent grade of 1.4 for its overall academic environment MCI's biotechnology study program takes first place in Austria.
FIBAA's Premium Seal  The Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA) has awarded its Premium Seal to the MCI’s Executive Master study programs
- General Management Executive MBA and
- Master of Science in Management MSc.
Registered as a non-profit foundation under Swiss law and headquartered in Bonn, FIBAA operates as a European accreditation agency offering additional national accreditation. FIBAA awards its Premium Seal exclusively to degree programs with an outstanding standard of excellence that is far in excess of normal accreditation requirements.
Universum Student Survey 2012 In the 2012 Universum Student Survey, MCI students gave excellent scores for the outstanding quality of the teaching, the high standing of the university, the practical relevance of the study programs and the full offering of student services. The ranking is based on a student assessment of quality relating to such criteria as teaching, faculty, support, service, practical relevance, industry contacts, careers potential, international orientation, opportunities for study abroad, reputation and other important aspects. About 5,500 students at Austrian universities were polled on their university experiences and career preferences and expectations.
ECTS-Label The European Commission awarded MCI the ECTS--Label.
- MCI’s student services  provide students information and support on housing & residence, scholarships & awards, sports, culture & leisure activities, library & literature as well as individual issues (e.g. psychological support, religious communities).
- The language center of MCI presents students a broad range of supplementary language courses (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish) and assists in developing and refining academic writing skills.
- MCI’s Alumni Association MCI Alumni & Friends provides a networking platform not only for graduates but also for MCI students by organizing numerous panel discussions and other events with international speakers from business, culture and politics. The registered Motto of MCI Alumni & Friends is A strong network of motivated people.
- The MCI Career Center acts as clearing house for internships, graduate jobs and careers development.
- The Austrian Students Union (ÖH) is involved in the student representation system at the MCI. The representatives for the individual study programs, the chairpersons and national ÖH delegate are elected every year in the summer semester.
- FIBAA - Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation
- PRME - Principles for Responsible Management Education
- IAUP - International Association of University Presidents
- IAU - International Association of Universities
- EFMD - European Federation for Management Development
- Deutscher Freundeskreis der Universitäten in Innsbruck
- AACSB - Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Verband der privaten Hochschulen
- Campus of Excellence
- Eurasia-Pacific UniNet
- Munich Network
- American Chamber of Commerce in Germany
- MBA Roundtable
- THE-ICE International Centre of Excellence in Tourism & Hospitality Education
- GE4 Global Education for European Engineers and Entrepreneurs
- Zentrum für Wissensmanagement
- "Andreas Altmann awarded the title of Rector" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- FHStG, geltende Fassung
- "Bachelor programs" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "Master programs" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "FIBAA Premiumsiegel" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "Executice Master Programs" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "Executive Certificate Courses" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "Partnerhochschulen" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "CHE Hochschulranking" (in German). Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "FIBAA" (in German). Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Universum Student Survey 2012" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "Student Services" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "ECTS-Label" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "FIBAA" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "PRME" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "IAUP" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "IAU" (in German). Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "EFMD Members" (in German). Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Deutscher Freundeskreis" (in German). Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Mitgliederliste mit Weblinks" (in German). Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Partnerhochschulen" (in German). Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Member Institutions of Eurasia-Pacific Uninet" (in German). Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Mitglieder von A-Z" (in German). Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "About the MBA Roundtable" (in German). Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "The ICE" (in German). Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- "Mitglieder GE4" (in German). Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- "ZfWM" (in German). Retrieved 2011-04-14.