|Main Line Electric Multiple Unit|
|Transit type||Rapid Transit|
|Track gauge||Indian gauge|
MEMU trains are designed for semi-urban and rural areas, unlike EMU (electric multiple unit) trains that are designed for urban and semi-urban areas. MEMU trains also have end vestibules (the passageways connecting two coaches) not found on EMU trains. Also, unlike EMU, MEMU trains include the utility of lavatorial facilities.
List of MEMU Trains
- In Kerala first MEMU train ran between Palakkad town and Coimbatore,later extended to shoranur.Now this train is running between Palakkad-Coimbatore-erode-salem,one trip to shoranur also. Second MEMU service begun in 2012 March 18 from Kollam to Ernakulam and vice versa. Chief Minister Oommen chandy flagged off the service.From 27-march-2013 Ernakulam-trissur-Palakkad MEMU will start the service.
- Chennai - Tirupati MEMU train
- Falaknuma - Bhongir MEMU (extended in 2013 till Jangaon)
Variations of front design of MEMU
- "SCR starts 2 Memu trains". Times of India. July 20, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- Express News Service (December 9, 2011). "Corporation adamant on saving MEMU dream". CNN-IBM. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "MEMU services figure in timetable". The Hindu. July 1, 2010. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- South Central Railway (July 7, 2011). "Introduction Of Memu Passenger On Chennai Central-Nellore & Tirupati-Nellore & Cennai Central-Tirupati Sections" (Press release). Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- Express News Service (July 29, 2009). "Railway introduces passenger-friendly technology in MEMU trains". Indian Express.
- Indian Railways Fan Club Photo Gallery: MEMU