|Traded as||Grey Market: MGMB|
|Founded||February 11, 2005|
|Headquarters||Beverly Hills, California, United States|
|Key people||Gary Barber
|Revenue||US$ 1.527 billion (2013)|
|Operating income||US$ 201 million (2013)|
|Net income||US$ 122 million (2013)|
|Total assets||US$ 2.546 billion (2013)|
MGM Holdings Inc. is a Delaware-registered pure holding company and the parent company of the American media company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. Through this holding company, MGM creditors own the Hollywood studio. Its headquarters are in Beverly Hills, California.
The holding company, MGM Holdings, was formed on February 11, 2005, by a Sony-led consortium; and on April 8, 2005, it acquired MGM in a US$4.8 billion leveraged buyout. From that period until its emergence from bankruptcy on December 20, 2010, it was owned by Providence Equity Partners (29%), TPG Capital (formerly Texas Pacific Group) (21%), Sony Corporation of America (20%), Comcast (20%), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners (7%), and Quadrangle Group (3%). Two of those shareholders own their own major film studio outright; Sony has been the parent company of Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group since 1989 while Comcast acquired Universal Studios following its merger with NBCUniversal in 2011 after MGM emerged from bankruptcy.
Following the emergence from bankruptcy, MGM's secured lenders which included Credit Suisse and JPMorgan Chase jointly own the company. The holding company owns MGM Holdings II Inc., which in turn owns the Hollywood studio - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. In December 2010, MGM named Spyglass partners Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum as the co-Chairs and co-CEOs of the studio; and also appointed Ann Mather, the ex-Pixar CFO to head MGM's new board of directors. On December 29, 2010, MGM signed a new lease with New York-based group George Comfort & Sons for a 6-story building in the corner of 235–269 N. Beverly, leaving its old headquarters in Century City.
In May 2012, MGM sold its minority non-voting shares of LAPTV to Fox International Channels while signing a long term contract for content with LAPTV. On July 31, 2012, MGM announced a deal with Carl Icahn, MGM’s largest shareholder, to acquire his stake in MGM Holdings for US$590 million. The deal allowed MGM to set a market value of US$2.4-US$3 billion for the studio, in case it went public or sold to a strategic investor. On July 31, MGM sold MGM Networks, Inc. to Chellomedia, while retaining its US, Canada, UK, Germany and joint ventures in Brazil and Australia, to raise fund to buy out Carl Icahn and prepare for an IPO. Chellomedia has licensed the MGM brand and content to continue on the purchased MGM channels.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., and directly or indirectly owns and controls the following group companies.
Film Production/Distribution and Home Entertainment
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc.
- United Artists Corporation
- Orion Pictures Corporation
- MGM Home Entertainment
- MGM Television Entertainment Inc.
- MGM International Television Distribution
- MGM Channel (Canada, UK, Germany)
- MGM HD (US)
- THIS Network LLC (Joint venture with Tribune Broadcasting)
- Studio 3 Partners (Epix) (Joint venture with Viacom and Lions Gate Entertainment) 19%
- Australian joint venture
- Telecine (Brazilian joint venture with Globosat, 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures)
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Animation Inc.
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Music Inc.
- MGM On Stage
- MGM Consumer Products
- MGM Interactive
- MGM Disclosure Statement page 424 (Appendix D: Audited Financial Statement. March 2009, page 6), October 7, 2010
- Eyman, Scott. Lion of Hollywood: The Life and Legend of Louis B. Mayer. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2005. ISBN 0-7432-0481-6
- MGM Holdings Inc. YE 2013 Financial Report, March 26, 2014
- "MGM Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy". 3 November 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "2011 Q3 Financial Report and Supplemental Information (Revised November 11, 2011)." Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Retrieved on February 18, 2012."
- Sony Consolidated Financial Statements for the year ended March 31, 2008
- "MGM Holdings II Inc Info". Retrieved Jan 5, 2012.
- MGM Holdings Voluntary PetitionMGM Voluntary Petition
- MGM Sets Ex-Pixar CFO Ann Mather To Head New Board of Directors, deadline.com
- Official: MGM Moving Into Office Building Once Intended For William Morris Agency, deadline.com
- "FOX International Channels to Acquire Additional Stake in LAPTV from MGM". FOX International Channels website. 2012-05-22.
- "Los Angeles Business" Icahn sells MGM stake for $590 million bizjournals.com, Retrieved on August 3, 2012
- "MGM Said to Plan a Buyout of Icahn’s Stake". 31 July 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- The Deadline Team (August 1, 2012) UPDATE: MGM Networks Sale To Chellomedia To Fund BuyBack of Icahn Shares: LAT. Deadline.com.
- Fritz, Ben. (August 01, 2012) MGM sells overseas channels amid Icahn buyback, IPO preparation. LA Times.