|Subsidiary of Chellomedia|
MGM Networks is a subsidiary of Chellomedia. It holds Chellomedia's interests in the MGM branded cable television, satellite television, other television channels and services that reach nearly 120 countries and territories.
These include the film-driven MGM Channel, the Casa Club home and lifestyle channel which targets viewers in Latin America and several Pay TV movie networks run in conjunction with other motion picture studios, in Latin America, and Japan.
In 1998, Liberty Media and MGM formed a 50/50 ownership in MGM Latin America.
On April 21, 2008, after negotiations between Paramount Pictures, MGM and Lions Gate Entertainment with Showtime on new film output deals broke down, the trio of production companies formed a joint venture, Studio 3 Partners, to start a new premium movie channel, Epix. MGM and Weigel Broadcasting announced the formation of This TV on July 28, 2008, with a planned launch that autumn. The network had a formal on-air launch date of November 1, 2008, The Epix television service officially launched on October 30, 2009
In 2011, MGM was attached to a new multicast Africa-American focused network called, KIN TV, in conjunction with Lee Gaither, a former TV One founding executive, and his Basil Street Media, a production and consulting company. MGM role wasn't defined, as TV News Check indicated just of MGM of "shopping" and distributing the network while Radio & Television Business Report indicated KIN TV as a joint venture between the two companies. KIN was original planned to be launched in Summer 2011. Some of Fox MyNetworkTV O&O TV Stations, including WWOR and KCOP, were slated as of December 6, 2011 by Fox to air KIN TV when launched. By December 2012, KIN TV missed multiple launched dates and Gaither left KIN TV to be named the Africa Channel executive vice president and general manager. Thus calling the network into question.
In May 2012, MGM sold its minority non-voting shares of LAPTV to Fox International Channels while signing a long term contract for content with LAPTV. On July 31, MGM sold MGM Networks, Inc. to Chellomedia, while retaining its US, Canada, UK, Germany and joint ventures in Brazil and Australia, to raise fund to buy out Carl Icahn and prepare for an IPO. Chellomedia has licensed the MGM brand and content to continue on the purchased MGM channels.
- channels in:
- South East Asia
- EMEA Channel
- Central Europe
- MGM EIN'S - Joint venture between MGM Networks and EIN'S M&M (formerly TAEWON Entertainment). formerly MGM Spectrum and MGM TAEWON.
- MGM Korea
- MGM Latin America
- Former Subsidiaries
- LAPTV (Jointly owned by 20th Century Fox and Paramount Pictures)
- The Film Xone
- Movie City
- retained by MGM
- MGM HD
- Studio 3 Partners
- This TV
- MGM Channels
- joint venturess
- The Deadline Team (August 1, 2012) UPDATE: MGM Networks Sale To Chellomedia To Fund BuyBack of Icahn Shares: LAT. Deadline.com.
- Arango, Tim (April 22, 2008). "Paramount set to end movie sales to Showtime". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved February 25, 2011.
- MGM Launches This TV Channel, Strong On Kids' Shows, Movies from MediaPost Publications, July 29, 2008
- "MGM, Weigel Launching This TV Diginet", from TVNewsDay, July 28, 2008
- MGM Takes Digital Leap, Variety.com, July 28, 2008
- Weigel, MGM Hope "This" Thing's a Hit, Broadcasting & Cable October 27, 2008
- EPIX Unveils Powerhouse Launch Weekend Lineup Reuters October 12, 2009
- Epix Picks a Launch Date NewTeeVee.com October 13, 2009
- McAvoy, Kim (September 29, 2011). "MGM Gives Bounce TV A New Rival". TV News Check. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Marcucci, Carl (September 30, 2011). "KIN TV launching as a new African-American multicast channel". Radio & Television Business Report. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Malone, Michael (December 6, 2011). "Exclusive: Fox Owned Stations Grab African-American Digi-Net KIN TV". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Malone, Michael (December 3, 2012). "New Digi-Net Adds 'Punch' to African-American Niche". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "FOX International Channels to Acquire Additional Stake in LAPTV from MGM". FOX International Channels website. 2012-05-22.
- Fritz, Ben. (August 01, 2012) MGM sells overseas channels amid Icahn buyback, IPO preparation. LA Times.