MG 6 saloon, in the UK
|Manufacturer||MG Motor (SAIC Motor)|
|Assembly||Pukou, Nanjing, China
Longbridge, Birmingham, United Kingdom
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door fastback
|Engine||1.8 L turbo I4 (petrol)
1.9 L I4 (diesel)
|Wheelbase||2,705 mm (106.5 in)|
|Length||4,651 mm (183.1 in)|
|Width||2,008 mm (79.1 in)|
|Height||1,472 mm (58.0 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,485 kg (3,274 lb)|
The MG 6 is a mid-size car produced by MG Motor under the MG marque from 2010 onwards. It is derived from the Roewe 550, hence being distantly related to the Rover 75, sharing its front subframe. It was initially announced in April 2009 at the Shanghai Auto Show as a hatchback and in October 2010 at Shanghai Expo as a 4-door saloon model.
The five-door hatchback, known as the MG 6 GT, went on sale in the United Kingdom in May 2011, the saloon, known as the MG 6 Magnette, went on sale on 16 July 2011. A diesel model joined the range at the end of 2012.
Initial UK production was projected in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 units per year.
Like the Roewe 550, some of the development and styling of the MG 6 was done at the MG Motor UK Technical Centre. The MG 6 commenced production in China in 2010 and Partially Knocked Down form at Longbridge, UK from 13 April 2011. The MG 3 supermini is also expected to undergo some limited final assembly at the same factory.
Following the hatchback 6 GT, the saloon version debuted in June 2011 carrying the Magnette name which was used by MG during the 1950s and 1960s for its saloon cars, and also in the 1930s for the MG K-type. The MG 6 Magnette is identical to the fastback MG 6 GT other than body style.
The launch models are available with the petrol TCI-Tech 1.8 L engine, available in two states of tune, 133 bhp (99 kW; 135 PS) and 158 bhp (118 kW; 160 PS) (with turbo), the latter being available from launch in China and as the only engine option at launch in the UK. All models are equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission, front Mcpherson strut suspension and multi-link rear suspension. The 1.8 L turbo can accelerate to 60 mph in 8.4 seconds, has an official combined fuel consumption of 35.6mpg and a CO2 figure of 184g/km. Top speed is restricted to 120 mph (193 km/h) to allow the car to be a rated a lower insurance bracket. Minor improvements to the MG 6 in April 2012 resulted in fuel economy figure of 37.7mpg (official combined) and reducing CO2 down to 174g/km.
A 1.9 L diesel DTi-Tech engine joined the range at the end of 2012, producing 148 bhp (110 kW; 150 PS) and 350 N·m (258 lb·ft) and producing CO2 emissions of 139g/km. The diesel engine is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox, and the steering has changed to an electro-hydraulic powered system.
In the UK, the car was initially launched as the MG 6 but on release to the public in May 2011 the fastback model was announced as the MG 6 GT. For the MG 6 GT, three levels of trim are available with increasing levels of equipment and trim; S, SE and TSE. These all share the same mechanical specification, although the TSE gains 18" wheels over the standard 17".
The standard colours are Pitch Black, Arctic White and Regal Red. The only option offered is metallic paint at £395: metallic colours are Union Blue, Platinum Silver, Granite Grey and Burnt Orange. At the UK launch, the prices of the MG 6 GT were S: £15,495; SE: £16,995; TSE: £18,995.
The engines available in the UK for the MG6 are:
|Model||Engine||Displacement||Power||Torque||0-60 mph||CO2 emissions|
|1.8 TCi-Tech||I4||1,796 cc||160 PS (118 kW; 158 hp) at 5,500 rpm||215 N·m (159 lb·ft) at 1,750-4,500 rpm||8.4s||174 g/km|
|Model||Engine||Displacement||Power||Torque||0-60 mph||CO2 emissions|
|1.9 DTi-Tech||I4||1,849 cc||150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp) at 4,000 rpm||350 N·m (258 lb·ft) at 1,800 rpm||8.9s||139 g/km|
|Euro NCAP 2011 6||Points||Rating|
|Overall Score:||81.0 out of 128|
|Adult Occupant:||26.4 out of 36||73%|
|Child Occupant:||34.6 out of 49||71%|
|Pedestrian Impact:||15.0 out of 36||42%|
|Safety Assist:||5.0 out of 7||71%|
|ANCAP 2013 6||Points||Rating|
|Overall Score:||27.73 out of 37|
|Offset Impact:||10.22 out of 16|
|Side Impact:||13.51 out of 16|
|Pole Impact:||2 out of 2|
|Bonus Points:||2 out of 3|
Initial 2011 sales of the MG 6 in the UK were slow, with only 15 units in October 2011, only seven registrations for the MG brand as a whole were recorded in November (of which three were presumably TF roadsters). Some cited lack of advertising and low perceived quality as problematic, while the absence of a diesel and an estate option were also mooted.
In December 2011, car rental company Avis UK Ltd announced that it would be running 100 MG 6 GT and Magnette in its rental fleet and took delivery of these cars. For 2012, MG sold 782 cars in the UK.
Initial UK production was projected in the range of 2000 to 3000 per annum.
- Auto Trader 
'MG is back! Despite Chinese ownership, the MG 6 is designed and built at Longbridge to take on family Hatchback’s. It’s a decent drive, with sharp handling, and there's loads of interior space. Some serious flaws, though.'
- Evo 
[+] One of the best in its class to drive
[-] Don't expect premium feel at these prices
- Honest John 
Positives: First all new MG built at Longbridge by MG's Chinese owners. Excellent handling, roomy interior, good performance for the money.
Negatives: Slow selling. Thirsty petrols.
- MSN Cars 
Positives: ride and handling, equipment, practicality, styling and price.
Negatives: interior plastics [and] economy.
- Parker's 
Pros: Good steering, lively engine, spacious interior and large boot
Cons: Poor build quality and materials, no diesel engine on launch
- Verdict On Cars 
'Average. For a first effort as the MG brand is relaunched in the UK, the MG6 has plenty going for it.'
- Wise Buyer's 
'Exciting times as the MG6 is the first MG for over 15 years, it's been awhile but the MG6 is a great looking car and a quality ride.'
Triple 8 Race Engineering runs a pair of works MG 6 GT models under NGTC regulations in the British Touring Car Championship. The drivers are Jason Plato and Sam Tordoff under the banner MG KX Momentum Racing.
Jason Plato`s original team mate was Andy Neate, who moved to form his own team at the end of 2012.
- Glancey, Jonathan (12 April 2011). "MG6: part Audi, part Korean hire car". The Guardian.
- Childs, Steve (2010-04-23). "MG Motor UK: MG-Rover.org’s Steve Childs interviews Guy Jones". AROnline. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- Holloway, Hilton (2009-04-20). "MG6 to go on sale in the UK". Autocar. Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- "SAIC Unveils MG6 Saloon at Shanghai Expo". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- "MG6 to go on sale in the UK". What Car?. 2011-02-15. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Simister, John (June 2011), "MG MG6 Magnette 1.8 TSE review", Evo, retrieved 2011-06-11
- "China-Developed MG6 Will Be Built in U.K.". Edmund's Inside Line. 2009-11-23. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- "New MG6 made at Longbridge plant in Birmingham". BBC.co.uk. 2011-04-13.
- "MG's TF cabrio axed | News". Auto Express. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "MG6 to go on sale in May". Autocar. 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "MG6 Brochure" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Octane February 2011". Classicandperformancecar.com. 2011-02-26. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- "2012 MG6 on sale". Auto Express. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "MG 6 DTi TECH diesel - First Drive". The Independent. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "The new MG6 diesel is a Brit special". The Mirror. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Specifications, MG6". MG UK. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Pricing, MG6". MG UK. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "MG 6; Euro NCAP – For safer cars crash test safety rating". Euro NCAP. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "November 2011 New Car Registrations". Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT). 2011-12-06.
- Adams, Keith (2011-12-06). "MG6 is not doing the business… 7 sold in November". AROnline.
- Gibbs, Nick (March 2011), "Mg6 1.8 tse", Auto Express (Dennis Publishing), retrieved 2011-12-13
- Avis adds MG6 to its fleet, Channel 5 Broadcasting Ltd, 2011-12-06, retrieved 2011-12-27
- "2012 new car market tops two million units, a four-year high". SMMT. 7 January 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "How important is MG's UK production?". www.bbc.co.uk (BBC News). 2011-04-13. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "MG 6 Hatchback Expert Review". Auto Trader. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "MG 6 1.8T TSE Review". Evo. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Car-By-Car Reviews - MG 6". Honest John. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "MG6 Review". Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "MG6 Review". Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "MG 6". Verdict On Cars. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "MG 6 Review". Wise Buyer's Guides. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MG 6.|
|MG road car timeline, 2000s–present|
|Supermini||MG 3 SW||MG 3|
|Compact car||MG ZR||MG 350*|
|Family car||MG ZS||MG 6|
|Executive car||MG ZT||MG 7|
|Roadster||MG F||MG TF||MG TF|
|Supercar||MG XPower SV|
|Note||*Roewe models sold under the MG nameplate in South America|