MIL-DTL-5015, a military specification, covers electrical circular connectors with solder or removable crimp contacts (both front and rear release). These connectors are for use in electronic, electrical power, and control circuits and are used in large numbers for defense, civil, and industrial applications due to their versatility, reliability, and ease of supply.
Origins and Evolution
In the early 1930s, Cannon (now ITT Interconnect Solutions) was contracted by Douglas Aircraft Company to develop electrical circular connectors for use on the DC-1 and on the subsequent DC-2 and DC-3 aircraft platforms. During the late 1930s—with World War II on the horizon—Cannon began volume production of multi-contact circular connectors that were used by virtually every aircraft builder in the United States. Cannon's Type "AN" (Army-Navy) series set the standard for modern circular connectors procured under MIL-C-5015—now MIL-DTL-5015—military specifications.
The military specification MIL-DTL-5015 was superseded by SAE-AS50151 in December 2009 pursuant to the general United States Department of Defense goal to reduce the number of military standards in favor of industry technical standards supported by Standards Developing Organizations (SDO) such as the ISO 9000 series for quality assurance and the SAE for technical specifications.
Form Factor and Selection Criteria
MIL-DTL-5015 circular connectors are used primarily for their ease of engagement and disengagement, ability to house different types of contacts, a wide range of allowable contact voltages and currents, and their rugged mechanical performance under a variety of environmental conditions. Their primary disadvantage is loss of panel space when used in arrays when compared to rectangular connector housings.
There are 19 shell sizes—from size-8 to size-40—with about 160 approved insert arrangements incorporating 1-to-85 contacts. The circular connectors are available with a choice of wall mount, box mount, cable connecting and jam-nut receptacles, as well as standard or self-locking plugs.
Similar connectors with different contact arrangements and bayonet coupling rings are also available to military specifications. Supplemental military specifications (e.g., MS Drawings, Detail Specifications, and Performance Specifications) are available to assist users with the proper selection of connectors and related components.
Commercial Alternative Connectors
Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) derivative circular connectors exist that intermate with the military versions designed to MIL-C-5015/MIL-DTL-5015. Both COTS and military-style connectors are sometimes called "Type AN" connectors, "MS connectors" "Cannon connectors", or "Amphenol connectors". Amphenol Corporation, Glenair Inc., and ITT Interconnect Solutions (Cannon) are notable manufacturers of this type of connectors. Amphenol Corporation (Industrial Global Operations) provides a "5015 series". 5015 series connectors are medium to heavy weight cylindrical connectors with 5 shell styles, 19 shell sizes and 5 service classes. The 5015 offers 305 contact arrangements from 1-to-104 circuits. ITT Corporation (ITT Interconnect Solutions) business portfolio includes the brands Cannon, VEAM, and BIW, and is the foremost manufacturer of Type "AN", MS and MS-type connectors.
- "MIL-DTL-5015H, Connectors, Electrical, Circular Threaded, AN Type, General Specification For". Department of Defense. 18 May 2000. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Data Sheet: Rear Release Circular Connectors" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "MIL-C-5015, Military Specification: Connectors, Electrical, Circular Threaded, AN Type, General Specification For — Superseded By MIL-DTL-5015H". 23 March 1976. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "History Brochure: Cannon, VEAM, BIW — A Historical Achievement of Technology Leadership" (PDF). ITT Interconnect Solutions. October 2008. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "SAE-AS50151, Connectors, Electrical, Circular Threaded, AN Type, General Specification For". Society of Automotive Engineers. 24 June 2004. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "MIL-DTL-5015H (Notice-1), Connectors, Electrical, Circular Threaded, AN Type, General Specification For". Department of Defense. 23 December 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Memorandum, Specifications and Standards — A New Way of Doing Business". Secretary of Defense. 29 June 1994. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "MIL-STD-1651A — Insert Arrangements For Mil-C-5015, Mil-C-22992 (Classes C, J, and R), and Mil-C-83723 (Series II) Electrical Connector" (PDF). Department of Defense. 3 April 1992. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "MIL-C-26482H — Connectors, Electrical, (Circular, Miniature, Quick Disconnect, Environment Resisting), Receptacles And Plugs, General Specification For'". Department of Defense. 20 February 2007. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "MIL-DTL-5015H (Supplement 1), Connectors, Electrical, Circular Threaded, AN Type, General Specification For". Department of Defense. 18 May 2000. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Supplemental MIL-DTL-5015 & MIL-C-5015 Documents - An On-Line Collection of the Controlling Military Specifications and related MS Drawings for MIL-DTL-5015 and MIL-C-5015 Connectors". Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "MIL 5015 Product Description: Cost effective circular, metal, multi-pin, threaded coupling signal or power connector for benign or harsh environments. SAE-AS50151 qualified.". Amphenol Industrial Global Operations. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Company Information". ITT Interconnect Solutions. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
External Links to Manufacturer Websites
- 3CV Srl Italian Company setup in 2001 operating in the industry of electrical connection. For many years 3CV has been manufacturing any type of cable harnessing and now has decided to enter into the market as manufacturer connectors.
- Anoway Manufactures a line of MIL-C-5015 Series of Connectors.
- AB Connectors Limited Manufactures a wide range of 5015 connectors with Bayonet, Push-Pull, Coarse and Fine Screw coupling mechanisms combined with high performance insulator and shell materials for optimum performance in Military Vehicle, Rail, Marine, Mining and Industrial applications. A full portfolio of shell sizes and contact arrangements are available
- Glenair, Inc. Manufactures a line of Type 5015 harsh environment circular connector providing outstanding corrosion resistance and rugged performance. These stainless steel, aluminum, and composite thermoplastic plugs and receptacles are ideally suited for severe environments such as geophysical exploration, mining and other settings where resistance to extreme temperatures, salt spray and caustic chemicals is a critical requirement. Fully compliant with the Mil-DTL-5015 specification, the connectors offer additional design features and materials advantages which make them exceptional values for many interconnect applications. The connectors are designed for rugged field use, and feature large profile knurlings for ease of handling, and anti-decoupling springs for maintenance-free performance. A complete range of pin sizes and insert arrangements are available.
- HEC-Electronic, DE
- In2Connect Manufactures a line of MIL-DTL-5015 low (standard) density, highly durable multipin, threaded, circular military and commercial connectors for use in fixed or mobile military equipment, industrial machine tools, robotics and automation, and on trucks, buses, ships and aircraft.
- ICC (Interstate Connecting Components) is a value-added distributor of MIL-DTL-5015 (MIL-C-5015) connectors; ICC is Qualified Parts List (QPL) approved to build both front and rear release versions of 5015 military connectors for J-Tech.
- PEI-Genesis This company is the world's largest value-added distributor of MIL-DTL-5015/MIL-C-5015 connectors; they are Qualified Parts List (QPL) approved to build both Amphenol and ITT Cannon versions.
- Van-System s.r.l Manufactures a line of circular electrical connectors for professional use in a wide range of fields: railways (in rolling-stock as well as signalling applications), machine tools, automation, construction sites, research, power supply, extractive industries, plant engineering etc. Besides connectors with screw or bayonet coupling complying with the Mil-C-5015 standard, non-standard products for special applications are also designed and manufactured.
- Jetronics India This company is one of the leading manufacturers and exporters of ms connectors and related accessories like ms connectors, reverse bayonet connectors, multipole mil connectors, circular threaded coupling connectors, etc..