The terms "DOD-STD-2167" and "DOD-STD-2168" (often mistakenly referred to as "MIL-STD-2167" and "MIL-STD-2168" respectively) are the official specification numbers for superseded U.S. DoD military standards describing documents and procedures required for developing military computer systems. Specifically: 
- DOD-STD-2167 described the necessary project documentation to be delivered when developing a computer software system.
- DOD-STD-2168 was the DoD's software quality assurance standard, titled "Defense System Software Quality Program".
On December 5, 1994, the standards DOD-STD-2167A and DOD-STD-2168 were superseded by MIL-STD-498, and that document merged DOD-STD-2167A, DOD-STD-7935A, and DOD-STD-2168 into a single document, and incorporated changes to address vendor criticisms.
- MIL-STD-498 - standard which superseded DOD-STD-2167A and DOD-STD-2168
- DOD-STD-2167A - a revised standard
- Capability Maturity Model (CMM)
- "MIL-STD-498, MILITARY STANDARD: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AND DOCUMENTATION [SUPERSEDED BY IEEE/EIA 12207.0, IEEE/EIA 12207.1 AND IEEE/EIA 12207.2]" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. 05 DEC 1994.
- "DOD-STD-2167, MILITARY STANDARD: DEFENSE SYSTEM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT]" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. 29 FEB 1988.
- "DOD-STD-2167, MILITARY STANDARD: DEFENSE SYSTEM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT [SUPERSEDING DOD-STD-1679A(NAVY) AND MIL-STD-1644B(TD)]" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. 04 JUN 1985.
- "MIL-HDBK-287, MILITARY HANDBOOK: A TAILORING GUIDE FOR DOD-STD-2167A" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. 11 AUG 1989.
- "Frameworks for quality software process: SEI Capability Maturity Model...", Springerlink.com, 2007, webpage PDF: SL6-PDF: states, "MIL-STD-2167 is the standard many DoD contractors have had to deliver...whereas MIL-STD-2168 is the DoD's quality assurance standard."