Screenshot of MIUI 4.3.21 (V5)
|Company / developer||Xiaomi Tech|
|Written in||C (core), C++ (some third party libraries), Java (UI)|
|OS family||Embedded operating system (Linux/Android)|
|Source model||Closed source (certain components are open source)|
|Latest release||4.4.11 (V5) / April 11, 2014|
|Marketing target||Firmware replacement for Android mobile devices; stock firmware for mobile devices|
|Available in||English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese|
|Package manager||Google Play (if installed) / Market / APK|
|Supported platforms||32-bit ARM, MIPS, x86|
|Kernel type||Monolithic, modified Linux kernel|
|Default user interface||Graphical (Multi-touch)|
|License||GNU General Public License v3
Apache License 2.0
|Official website||en.miui.com (International)
hk.miui.com (Hong Kong)
MIUI (pronounced "Me You I", a play on the common abbreviation of the words user interface as UI), developed by Xiaomi Tech, is a stock and aftermarket firmware for smartphones and tablet computers based on the open-source Android operating system. It features a heavily modified and hard-coded user interface that does away with the Android app drawer and has drawn comparisons with Apple's iOS and Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The Custom ROM includes additional functionality not found in stock Android, including a theme-able user interface, new music, gallery, and camera apps, and an alarm clock that rings even if the device is turned off.
The original MIUI ROMs were based on Android 2.2.x Froyo and CyanogenMod 6 sources, and was initially developed in the Chinese language by Chinese startup Xiaomi Tech. Xiaomi added a number of apps to enhance the basic framework; those include Notes, Backup, Music, and Gallery.
Updates are usually provided over-the-air every Friday. MIUI is then translated and ported into unofficial versions in other languages by independent developers and groups of fan-sites. The list of supported devices may or may not be complete, and ROMs are very similar but not identical. The list of fan-sites can be found on MIUI's official English site.
Since MIUI V4, based on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, Xiaomi added a virus scanning engine from partner company Tencent (formerly from Kingsoft, whose previous CEO was also Lei Jun) despite the opposition of many users. Methods of removing it have emerged in the MIUI China forum, since the engine was proven not to be helpful.
Also during the development of MIUI V4, Xiaomi started to remove Google services from their ROMs in order to build and monopolize its own environment of Xiaomi, including cloud services, paid themes and games (featured by MiCredit currency). Later, during development of MIUI V5, nearly all Google services were removed due to Chinese censorship laws.
Xiaomi has released nine smartphones: the Xiaomi MI-One / MI-One S, the Xiaomi MI2 / Xiaomi MI2A / Xiaomi MI-2S, the Xiaomi Redmi / Xiaomi Redmi 1S, and the Xiaomi MI3 / Xiaomi Mi3S, all of which come pre-installed with MIUI.
|MIUI version||Android version||Last or major
|Old version, no longer supported: V1||Up to Android Froyo
|Old version, no longer supported: V2||Up to Android Froyo
||N/A||N/A||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: V3||Up to Android Gingerbread
||N/A||N/A||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: V4||Up to Android Jelly Bean
||Old version, no longer supported: 3.2.22||22 February 2013||Redesigned user interface|
|Current stable version: V5||Up to Android KitKat
||Current stable version: 4.4.11||11 April 2014||Redesigned user interface|
|Future release: V6||Up to Android KitKat
||Future release||Future release||Redesigned user interface|
- About MIUI Video on YouTube
- 50 Beta Testers Wanted for Official MIUI for Nexus 7 II. Apply here - Beta Team - MIUI Official English Site - Redefining Android, MIUI, 2014-02-26, retrieved 2014-03-05
- MIUI Is a Gorgeous, Super Fast ROM for Android, Lifehacker, 2011-04-25, retrieved 2012-01-17
- Everything You Want To Know About Custom ROM, GeekPrison.com, 2011-04-25, retrieved 2012-01-17
- MIUI Official English Site, En.miui.com, retrieved 2014-02-01
- Jason Lim, MIUI, Lei Jun, TechNode, retrieved 2012-01-17
- MIUI Official English Site, retrieved 2014-04-12
- "Introduction to MIUI" (Press release). Xiaomi. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- MIUI Official English Site, retrieved 2014-01-31
- "About Us". Xiaomi (Press release). Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "小米的MIUI被指违反GPL许可证" (in Chinese). Solidot. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "MIUI is accused of non-compliance with open source software license, users request MIUI to be open source (MIUI被指责不遵守开源软件协议，网友要求公开源代码)" (in Chinese). tech2ipo. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Commits". GitHub. October 25, 2013.
- MarkHUK (October 25, 2013). "Xiaomi MI2 / MI2A Kernel Goes Public!". miuiandroid.com.
- Install MIUI Gingerbread Custom ROM On Google Nexus S 4G, Redmond Pie, 2011-05-24, retrieved 2012-01-17
- "Search Results for virus scanning engine".
- Find all the Google Apps in Google installer! - App - MIUI Official English Site - Redefining Android
- Xiaomi Phone with MIUI OS: a $310 Android with 1.5 GHz dual-core SoC and other surprises, Engadget, 2011-08-16, retrieved 2012-01-17
- Official website
- Supported devices
- MIUI on Facebook
- MIUI on Twitter
- Xiaomi Tech
- Android Source Code Project