Screenshot of the MIUI V5
|Company / developer||Xiaomi Tech|
|Source model||Closed source (some components are open source)|
|Latest stable release||3.11.29 / November 29, 2013|
|Available language(s)||Chinese and English|
|Default user interface||Graphical|
MIUI (pronounced "Me You I", a play on the common abbreviation of the words user interface as UI), developed by Xiaomi Tech, is an aftermarket firmware for cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. Although some components like Patchrom are open-source, MIUI's kernel is closed source, and thus is in breach of Linux kernel's GPL. It features a heavily modified user interface that does away with the Android app drawer and has drawn comparisons with Apple's iOS and Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The Custom ROM includes additional functionality not found in stock Android, including toggles on the notification pull-down, new music, gallery, and camera apps, and an altered phone dialer that displays matching contacts as a user enters a number.
MIUI is based on Android Jelly Bean (2.3.x Gingerbread and CyanogenMod 9 sources for older versions), and was initially developed in the Chinese language by Chinese startup Xiaomi. Xiaomi added a number of apps to enhance the basic framework; those include MITalk (a Blackberry Messenger clone), MINotes, MIBackup, MIMusic, and MIGallery.
Updates are usually provided over-the-air every Friday. MIUI is then translated and ported in unofficial versions to other languages by independent developers. The list of supported phones may or may not be complete, and ROMs are very similar but not identical. The list of translations can be found on the MIUI official site.
Since MIUI V4, based on Android 4.0, Xiaomi added a virus scanning engine from partner company Tencent (formerly from Kingsoft, whose previous CEO was also Lei Jun) despite the opposition of many users. Methods of removing it have emerged on the MIUI China forum, since the engine was proven to not be helpful.
Also during the development of MIUI V4, Xiaomi attempted to remove Google services in order to build and monopolize its own environment of Xiaomi, including cloud services, paid themes and games (featured by MI currency).
- About MIUI Video on YouTube
- "小米的MIUI被指违反GPL许可证" (in Chinese). Solidot. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "MIUI is accused of non-compliance with open source software license, users request MIUI to be open source (MIUI被指责不遵守开源软件协议，网友要求公开源代码)" (in Chinese). tech2ipo. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- MIUI Is a Gorgeous, Super Fast ROM for Android, Lifehacker.com, 2011-04-25, retrieved 2012-01-17
- Everything You Want To Know About Custom ROM, GeekPrison.com, 2011-04-25, retrieved 2012-01-17
- MIUI Official Site, En.miui.com, retrieved 2012-01-17
- Jason Lim, MIUI, Lei Jun, TechNode, retrieved 2012-01-17
- MIUI Official Site, retrieved 2012-01-17
- "about us". xiaomi.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Install MIUI Gingerbread Custom ROM On Google Nexus S 4G, Redmond Pie, 2011-05-24, retrieved 2012-01-17
- "Search Results for virus scanning engine".
- Xiaomi Phone with MIUI OS: a $310 Android with 1.5 GHz dual-core SoC and other surprises, Engadget, 2011-08-16, retrieved 2012-01-17