|Written in||C, C++, Java|
|Source model||Partially closed source|
|Initial release||August 16, 2010|
|Latest release||5.5.15 / May 15, 2015|
|Marketing target||Firmware replacement for Android mobile devices; stock firmware for mobile devices|
|Available in||Languages vary by country|
|Package manager||Google Play (excludes Mainland China) / Market / Mi Appstore (Mainland China) / APK|
|Platforms||32-bit ARM, MIPS, x86|
|Kernel type||Monolithic, modified Linux kernel|
|Default user interface||GUI (multi-touch)|
|License||GNU General Public License v3
Apache License 2.0
MIUI (pronounced "Me You I", a play on the common abbreviation of the words user interface as UI), developed by Xiaomi Tech, is a stock and aftermarket firmware for smartphones and tablet computers based on the free software Android operating system. MIUI includes various features such as theming support.
The original MIUI ROMs were based on Android 2.2.x Froyo and CyanogenMod 6 sources, and was initially developed in the Chinese language by Chinese startup Xiaomi Tech. Xiaomi added a number of apps to enhance the basic framework; those include Notes, Backup, Music, and Gallery.
Updates are usually provided over-the-air every Friday. MIUI is then translated and ported into unofficial versions in other languages by independent developers and groups of fansites.
MIUI and Google Play Services
MIUI does not ship with Google Play Services in Mainland China. However, Xiaomi has been expanding its operations in Hong Kong, Taiwan , and outside China. MIUI releases for Xiaomi devices sold in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and countries outside of China such as in India, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia has Google Play Services and Google Apps such as Gmail, Google Maps, Google Play Store pre-installed and functions as it would on any other Android device. MIUI editions for these countries are Google certified.
Direct downloads for country specific release also contains Google Play Services and Apps.
MIUI's full form is Mi User Interface.
Criticisms and controversies
MIUI's kernel was proprietary, and thus in breach of Linux kernel's GPL. Due to criticisms, source code for certain components was released to GitHub on October 25, 2013. Kernel sources for a number of devices including the Mi3, Mi4, MiNote, and Redmi series phone were released in March 2015.
Since MIUI V4, based on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, Xiaomi added a virus scanning engine from partner company Tencent (formerly from Kingsoft, whose previous CEO was also Lei Jun) despite the opposition of many users. Methods of removing it have emerged in the MIUI's Chinese forum, since the engine was proven not to be helpful.
Also during the development of MIUI V4, Xiaomi started to remove Google services from their ROMs in order to build and monopolize its own environment of Xiaomi, including cloud services, paid themes and games (featuring MiCredit currency). Later, during development of MIUI V5, nearly all Google services had been removed from the Chinese versions.
|Version||Android version||Last or major
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V1||Up to Android Froyo
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V2||Up to Android Froyo
||N/A||N/A||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V3||2.3.x
||Old version, no longer supported: 2.4.20||20 April 2012||Redesigned user interface|
|Older version, yet still supported: MIUI V4||4.0.x - 4.1.x
||Older version, yet still supported: 3.2.22||22 February 2013||Redesigned user interface|
|Current stable version: MIUI V5||4.1.x - 4.2.x - 4.3.x - 4.4.x
||Current stable version: 4.12.5||5 December 2014||Redesigned user interface|
|Current stable version: MIUI V6||4.4.2 - 5.0.2
||Current stable version: 5.5.15||15 May 2015||Redesigned user interface|
- About MIUI Video on YouTube
- 50 Beta Testers Wanted for Official MIUI for Nexus 7 II. Apply here - Beta Team - MIUI Official English Site - Redefining Android, MIUI, 2014-02-26, retrieved 2014-03-05
- MIUI Official English Site, en.miui.com, retrieved 2014-02-01
- Jason Lim, MIUI, Lei Jun, TechNode, retrieved 2012-01-17
- MIUI Official English Site, retrieved 2014-04-12
- "Introduction to MIUI" (Press release). Xiaomi. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "小米的MIUI被指违反GPL许可证" (in Chinese). Solidot. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "MIUI is accused of non-compliance with free software license, users request MIUI to be free software (MIUI被指责不遵守开源软件协议，网友要求公开源代码)" (in Chinese). tech2ipo. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Commits". GitHub. October 25, 2013.
- GitHub MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource, GitHub, 2015-03-31, retrieved 2015-04-08
- Install MIUI Gingerbread Custom ROM On Google Nexus S 4G, Redmond Pie, 2011-05-24, retrieved 2012-01-17
- "Search Results for virus scanning engine".
- "Find all the Google Apps in Google installer!". Xiaomi Tech. June 9, 2013.
- Xiaomi Phone with MIUI OS: a $310 Android with 1.5 GHz dual-core SoC and other surprises, Engadget, 2011-08-16, retrieved 2012-01-17