|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Genres||Pop, pop rap|
MKTO is a musical duo consisting of Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller. Their debut single, "Thank You", was released in January 2013. The follow up single, "Classic", was released in June 2013. MKTO's self-titled debut album was released on January 30, 2014.
Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller met in 2010 while filming the Nickelodeon television series Gigantic, in which their characters played best friends. They later formed together as a duo and came up with the name MKTO, which represents the combined initials of their names and surnames, MK for Malcolm Kelley and TO for Tony Oller. They elaborated upon the inspiration for their group name, saying: "It also stands for what our album kind of is: Misfit Kids and Total Outcasts – just like the kids we were in high school".
Malcolm Kelley formerly played Walt on ABC's LOST whose pilot aired in 2004
The group signed to Columbia Records and released their debut single "Thank You" on January 15, 2013. "Thank You" is a crossover between pop and hip hop. The song's music video was released onto YouTube via VEVO on January 4, 2013, and garnered over 500,000 views in two days of being released. The song has attained commercial success, reaching the top ten on the singles charts of Australia and New Zealand. In the music video, Harold Perrineau, who played the father of Malcolm Kelley's character on Lost, appeared as a reference to the show. MKTO released their second single, "Classic" along with the music video on June 20, 2013. In July 2013, they served as the opening for Emblem3 on their summer tour across the United States. Their self-titled debut album was released on April 1, 2014. The music video for third single and first track on MKTO, "God Only Knows", was released on November 29, 2013 on YouTube and Vevo. They also served as the opening for Emblem3's #bandlife Tour and Demi Lovato's "Demi: World Tour" in 2014. In February 2014, their debut album went to #1 in Australia and #6 in New Zealand. During the summer of 2014, MKTO went on their first headlining tour, the American Dream Tour. This featured opening acts Tiffany Houghton and Action Item. The third single to be served off their debut album in the United States is "American Dream".
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"God Only Knows"||11||—||—||19||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released.|
Awards and nominations
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Catchiest New Song||
- "Uncover Discover". The Edge. MediaWorks Radio. January 29, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "MKTO Signs With Columbia Records". PR Newswire. UBM plc. January 15, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography MKTO". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography MKTO". New Zealand Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography MKTO". Swedish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- "MKTO – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "MKTO – Chart History: Billboard Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie MKTO". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- "Official Charts > Artist > MKTO". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "MKTO – Chart History: The Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "BPI Certified Awards". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database". RIAA.
- Rutherford, Kevin. "Nominees for 2014 Radio Disney Music Awards". Billboard. Retrieved 13 March 2014.