Malacca International Airport
|Melaka International Airport
Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Melaka
|Plan of the layout of the new Terminal|
|IATA: MKZ – ICAO: WMKM|
|Owner||Government of Malaysia|
|Operator||Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad|
|Serves||Malacca & Northern Johor, Peninsular Malaysia|
|Location||Batu Berendam, Malacca, Peninsular Malaysia|
|Hub for||Sky Aviation Oxysky Flight Support|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+08:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||40 ft / 12 m|
|Passenger change 11-12||61.1%|
|Movements change 11-12||9.0%|
|Source: official web site
Malacca International Airport (IATA: MKZ, ICAO: WMKM) (formerly known as Batu Berendam Airport is an airport located in Batu Berendam, Malacca in Malaysia. The Airport serves the city and the state of Malacca, as well as northern Johor.
The airport, which occupies 141 acres (0.57 km2) of land, was built in 1952.
The airport and particularly its control tower bears historical significance as it was the same tower which guided the plane of Tunku Abdul Rahman, the first Prime Minister of Malaysia, to land from London on 20 February 1956. It was in Malacca that Tunku announced the date for the independence of then Malaya from the United Kingdom. Considering the historical nature of this control tower, the Chief Minister of Malacca, Mohd Ali Rustam is attempting to save the tower, by either relocating it, or by changing plans to incorporate the tower.
Currently, the airport services Sky Aviation which operates flights from Pekanbaru 5 times per week by Sky Aviation from Pekan Baru. Malacca has become a popular destination for health care and medical tourism from Indonesia, particularly Sumatera. This has greatly increased the passenger influx through the airport, with all three private hospitals in the city operating regular free shuttle-bus services to and from the airport.
The airport is also used as the base of the Malaysian Flying Academy (MFA), which has been operating out of the airport since 1987.
Malacca International Airport (recognized by Malacca state government)
The airport had an earth breaking ceremony on 1 April 2006, and is currently undergoing an upgrade, due to be completed by 29 April 2009. The runway is being upgraded from 1,372 m × 37 m (4,501 ft × 121 ft), to 2,045 m × 45 m (6,709 ft × 148 ft) and is now 2,135 m × 45 m (7,005 ft × 148 ft), allowing Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 aircraft to take off. The terminal complex is being replaced by a new 7,000 m2 (75,000 sq ft) terminal equipped with international-standard amenities. The control tower is being replaced and complemented with advanced aeronautical devices. Both ends of the runway will contain facilities to guide night landing and better assure safety in bad weather conditions.
On May 2009, the new terminal was officially opened. The new terminal could handle 1.5 million passengers annually as opposed to the 30,000 of the old terminal. The airport was visited by the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on February 2010. In his visit, he officially renamed the airport Malacca International Airport.
Currently the only airport Ground Handling Services provided by Oxysky Flight Support located at the Terminal Building serving the corporate, private jet and also Airlines. Operating under Oxysky Group, Oxysky Flight Support also serving as the air ticket sale for Sky Aviation, aircraft charter as well other aviation assistance at the airport.
Airlines and destinations
Traffic and statistics
- Malacca International Airport at Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- WMKM - MALACCA at Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia
- "Malacca CM in bid to save airport tower", The Star, 2007-08-30
- "Air Asia di Melaka", "Mohd Ali Rustam's blog", 2008-08-28
- "Malacca Airport Runway Extension To Complete By September", Bernama, 2009-03-10
- "Firefly set to fly from Batu Berendam by September", The Sun, 2009-05-04
- "MAHB Annual Report 2012". MAHB. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- List of International Airports in Malaysia as Recognized by Malaysia Airport Holdings Berhad
- Current weather for WMKM at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for MKZ at Aviation Safety Network
- EZineer - A forum with regular updates on Expansion work progress
- Batu Berendam Airport, Malacca at Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
-  Melaka Air can fly only after it obtains mandatory licences
- Sky Aviation Launches Pekanbaru-Melaka Service
- Sky Aviation Flight Schedule
- Firefly Flight Schedule