The Machynlleth Festival takes place in the Auditorium in late August every year. During the week eminent performers take part in events ranging from recitals for children to jazz. Special features are the Hallstatt Lecture on some aspect of Celtic culture and the Glyndŵr Award for an Outstanding Contribution to the Arts in Wales.
Throughout the year MOMA shows Modern Welsh Art, a constantly changing exhibition featuring leading artists from Wales. Individual artists are spotlighted in a series of temporary exhibitions. In August expert judges and then the public choose the winners of the Tabernacle Art Competition.
The Tabernacle Collection
Paintings and drawings from the Tabernacle Collection are shown in rotation. Works in this permanent collection include Portrait of William McElroy by Augustus John, Toasting by Stanley Spencer and Portrait of a Woman by Percy Wyndham Lewis. MOMA Wales owns Waterfall, Ogwen, Cottages, Cilgwyn, Carreg Cennen and Road above Deiniolen by Sir Kyffin Williams. The Brotherhood of Ruralists is represented by Graham Arnold's Last Poems (A E Housman) and Journal 1997 and by Ann Arnold's Clare's Countryside (8) and The River Dyfi. There are also two drawings of Dylan Thomas by his friend Mervyn Levy.
Peter Prendergast (Early Winter, Nant Ffrancon Valley and Study for Early Winter, Nant Ffrancon Valley) received the Glyndŵr Award in 2004, while Shani Rhys James (Night Kitchen I) is the designated recipient for 2007.
The Auditorium of The Tabernacle has excellent acoustics and Pitch Pine pews to seat 350 people. Chamber and choral music, drama, lectures and conferences regularly take place here. A Steinway grand piano has been purchased; translation booths, recording facilities and a cinema screen have been installed; the oak-beamed Foyer has a bar; and extensive access for the disabled has been made possible by a lift.
For the rest of the year the centre can be hired for performances, rehearsals and gatherings. Ty Llyfnant houses music teaching rooms and an art studio while the Green Room doubles as a Language Laboratory where Lifelong learning classes are held.
- Mike Parker & Paul Whitfield: The Rough Guide to Wales (Rough Guides, London, 2003) ISBN 978-1-84353-120-3
- Alistair Crawford: Made of Wales (Machynlleth Tabernacle Trust, Machynlleth, 2000) ISBN 978-0-9519971-3-0
- Paul Binding: A commemorative essay commissioned by the Museum of Modern Art, Wales for the 20th anniversary of The Brotherhood of Ruralists (Machynlleth Tabernacle Trust, Machynlleth, 1995)
- David Alston, Lynda Morris & Tony Curtis: The Painter's Quarry: The Art of Peter Prendergast (Seren, Bridgend, 2006) ISBN 978-1-85411-409-9
- Shani Rhys James: The Black Cot (Gomer, Llandysul, 2004) ISBN 978-1-84323-152-3
- Walter Michel: Wyndham Lewis: paintings and drawings (University of California Press, Berkeley, 1971) ISBN 978-0-520-01612-5