MBTA locomotive #2001 crosses the Charles River Bridge en route to the MBTA Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility, shortly after its first revenue run on April 16, 2014.
|AAR wheel arr.||B-B|
|Gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Locomotive weight||287,500 pounds|
|Prime mover||GE GEVO-12|
|Engine type||45° V12, four stroke cycle diesel engine|
|Displacement||188.5 L (49.8 US gal; 41.5 imp gal)|
|Traction motors||GE AC|
|Top speed||110 mph (180 km/h)|
|Power output||4,650 hp (3,470 kW)|
|Locomotive brake||Pneumatic, Dynamic|
The MPI HSP46 is a four-axle AC-traction diesel-electric locomotive for commuter trains, designed and assembled by MotivePower, Inc. It meets EPA Tier 3 emissions standards. The launch customer is the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), whose first unit entered revenue service in April 2014.
The MBTA Board of Directors voted, on July 14, 2010, to approve the purchase of 20 new HSP46 locomotives from MotivePower, Inc. These are powered by GE GEVO-12 diesel engines from GE Transportation Systems, equipped with a static inverter for head end power, and capable of meeting the stringent new Tier 3 emissions regulations. AC traction systems, prime movers, head end power equipment, and computer systems are supplied by GE, while MPI supplies the brake systems, air systems, and cooling systems.
On July 11, 2012, the MBTA Board voted to approve the first option for 7 locomotives, bringing the order total to 27 units (2000-2026). On April 10, 2013, the Board approved the purchase of the remaining 13 option locomotives, bringing the current order total to 40 units (2000-2039).
On October 24, 2013, the first pilot unit, #2001, was delivered to the MBTA Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility to begin testing and training. Two other pilot units have also been released from Motive Power Industries. #2000 is at GE's Test Facility in Erie, Pennsylvania and #2002 is at the TTC test facility in Pueblo, Colorado. Only #2001 was given the MBTA paint scheme; the other two test units are unpainted.
- "Boston orders MotivePower HSP46 diesels". Railway Gazette International. 20 July 2010.
- "The New General Electric GEVO-Engine for Tier2-Locomotive Application". FEV Spectrum (25). February 2004. Archived from the original on 10 March 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Wabtec CEO: GE Partnership On New Locomotives May Be Ongoing". AutomatedTrader. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Passenger Locomotive Collaboration: New family of passenger locomotives will be powered by Evolution* Series Engine". GE Transportation. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "GE Transportation to supply components for passenger locomotives". TradingMarkets.com. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- "Wabtec's MotivePower Unit Signs Contract With MBTA For New Passenger Locomotives". PR Newswire. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- Gaffin, Adam. "New loco look for MBTA". Universal Hub. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "MBTA approves $150m of upgrades to commuter rail". Boston Globe. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Board Meeting Agenda". Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 10 April 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- LaBella, Mike (15 April 2014). "New train headed to city tomorrow". Eagle-Tribune. Retrieved 16 April 2014.