MRC Human Genetics Unit
|Director||Prof Nick Hastie FRS CBE
The Medical Research Council (UK) Human Genetics Unit is situated at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh. It is one of the largest MRC research establishments, housing over two hundred scientists, support staff, research fellows, PhD students, and visiting workers.
- 1956 - 1969 Dr Michael Court Brown
- 1969 - 1994 Professor John Evans
- 1994–Present Professor Nick Hastie
The Human Genetics Unit is divided into four sections. Three are research sections and the fourth provides administrative, computing and technical services for the Unit as a whole.
- Medical and Developmental Genetics Section
- Heads: Professor David FitzPatrick, Professor Ian Jackson
- Chromosome and Gene Expression Section
- Head: Professor Wendy Bickmore
- Biomedical Systems Analysis Section
- Head: Professor Richard Baldock
- Core Scientific Services
- Head: Dr Kate Wilson
Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine (IGMM)
In 2007 the Human Genetics Unit formed a partnership with two neighbouring research centres on the Western General Hospital campus, the Centre for Molecular Medicine (University of Edinburgh) and the Edinburgh Cancer Research Centre (Cancer Research UK), to create the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine. The Human Genetics Unit officially became part of the University of Edinburgh in 2011.
- Medical Research Council (UK)
- MRC Human Genetics Unit
- Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine
- Centre for Molecular Medicine
- Edinburgh Cancer Research Centre
- Western General Hospital