|Traded as||NYSE: MSCI|
|Headquarters||Seven World Trade Center
New York City
|Key people||Henry A. Fernandez, CEO,
Robert Qutub, CFO,
David C. Brierwood, COO
|Services||stock market indices
|Revenue||$661 million (2010)
$443 million (2009)
|Operating income||$206 million (2010)
$151 million (2009)
|Net income||$92 million (2010)
$82 million (2009)
In 1968, the Capital International Indices were published, the first set of global stock market indices for non-U.S. markets. In 1986, Morgan Stanley licensed the rights to the indices from Capital International. It branded the indices as the Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) indices. In 2004, MSCI acquired Barra, Inc., to form MSCI Barra. The company is headquartered in New York City.
The MSCI global equity indices have been calculated since 1969. The company's most known indices include MSCI World and MSCI EAFE. MSCI indices are widely used as the benchmark indices by which the performance of global equity portfolios are measured. They are also used as the basis of passive investment products like index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Morgan Stanley sponsored the first iShares ETFs, known at launch as WEBS, which are designed to track various MSCI indices.
In mid-2007, parent company Morgan Stanley decided to divest from, and perhaps spin off, MSCI. This was followed by an initial public offering of a minority of stock in November 2007. The divestment was completed in 2009.
On July 15, 2010, MSCI acquired Measurisk.
- "MSCI 2010 Annual Report". Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- "MSCI 2009 Annual Report".
- "About MSCI". MSCI. Retrieved 2011-04-20. employee count at MSCI's website
- MSCI Global Equity Indices MSCI Indices
- Gastineau, Gary L. (2002). The Exchange-Traded Funds Manual (2nd ed.). John Wiley and Sons. p. 35. ISBN 0-471-22092-2. LCCN 2002391823. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- Morgan to take MSCI public—Investment News
- "FAQ". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- (a supplier of risk management systems, data, analytics, risk reporting, and information services) in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $1.55 billion. "MSCI Completes Acquisition of RiskMetrics". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "MSCI Acquires Measurisk". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Lozada, Aaron. "MSCI completes acquisition of Investor Force". SNL News. SNL Financial LC. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Business data