DreamSpark Premium (formerly MSDN Academic Alliance (MSDNAA)) is a Microsoft program available to academic organizations, mainly colleges and universities, although there is also a high school version. The participating schools pay an annual fee for the service, in exchange for which, applicable departments (computer science, computer engineering, information technology, and related fields of that organization) as well as students and faculty can acquire licensed copies of Microsoft software such as Microsoft Windows, Visual Studio and other products. The list of software each college and university gets is dependent on the agreements made by that particular organization.
The software can be used in coursework and personal non-commercial projects. Students may continue to use these products for non-commercial purposes, even after they graduate. Even after graduation students may receive all free updates to the software, such as security updates and service packs, that are available to everyone through Windows Update.
Software is accessed through a dedicated website run either by Kivuto Solutions Inc or by the university/high school itself. The service run by Kivuto Solutions is called Kivuto Electronic License Management System or ELMS. Access is determined by the service agreement, but is usually given to students who meet certain requirements (must be currently enrolled in or teaching course(s) in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics).
Among others, the list of available software contains:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 (all editions)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (all editions)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (all editions)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (all editions)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (all editions)
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 (Professional)
- Windows 8 (Professional)
- Enterprise edition is available for download only so if you purchased the media with your DreamSpark Premium subscription, you will NOT get a DVD of Windows 8 Enterprise.
- Windows 7 (Professional)
- Windows Vista (Business and Enterprise)
- MS-DOS (6.0 and 6.22)
- Microsoft Exchange Server (2007, 2010, 2013)
- Microsoft Lync Server (2013)
- Microsoft Project Server (2010, 2013)
- Microsoft Expression Studio (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Microsoft SQL Server (2005, 2008, 2008 R2 - all editions, 2012)
- Microsoft Access (2003, 2007, 2010, 2013)
- Microsoft OneNote (2007, 2010, 2013)
- Microsoft Project (2007, 2010, 2013)
- Microsoft Visio (2007, 2010, 2013)
The list actually contains almost all Microsoft software, and the majority of products are available in all existing editions and languages. Notable exceptions are:
- Desktop Windows (non-server) are not available in all editions (e.g. Ultimate edition is usually not available in MSDNAA).
- From the Office suite, only Access, Visio, Project, OneNote and Groove are available, while Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook aren't (look into Microsoft Action Pack if needed).
- Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN)
- Open Source University Meetup
- Secure Download Cabinet
- Kivuto Solutions Inc