|Type||Private, Limited liability company|
|Founders||Michael Dell |
645 Fifth Avenue, 21st Floor, New York and
|Products||Leveraged buyout, Growth capital , investments, real-estate|
|Total assets||not public, in excess of $ 10 billion|
MSD Capital is the investment vehicle owned and controlled by Michael Dell and his family. The company made headlines in 2013 as it is one of the main investors in the announced Leveraged buyout of Dell Inc. besides Michael Dell in private, Silver Lake Partners, Microsoft and several banks
MSD Capital was formed in 1998 to manage the wealth of Michael Dell and his family.
MSD Capital has a dedicated investment team and according to their own statement Mr Dell is not involved in the day-to-day operations of the firm. The company makes no statement of his involvement on major decisions. The main investment partners are Glenn R. Fuhrman, co-managing partner and co-founder as well as John C. Phelan, also co-managing partner and co-founder
Besides those 2 co-founders and co-managing partners another 10 partners are listed
Relation with Dell Computers
As a private (investment) firm the company doesn't publish detailed records on their activities or strategies. According to information on MSD Capital's website they have a very broad mandate how to invest the money. They are currently (as mentioned on their website on 5 February, 2013) specialized in:
Dell Inc would likely be their largest investment to date if the leveraged buy out succeeds.
Sources and references
- MSDCapital Website FAQs
- MSDCapital Website Contact Us
- Financial Times website: Michael Dell orchestrates $24bn buyout deal, 5 February, 2013
- MSD Website on Glen R. Fuhrman, 5 February, 2013
- MSDCapital website on John C. Phelan, visited: 5 Februari, 2013
- MSD Capital website: Listing of partners, visited: 5 February, 2013
- Miles Weiss (January 31, 2013). "Dell Keeps LBO Financing in the Family With MSD Capital". Bloomberg Businessweek.