|MTV Czech Republic
MTV Česká republika
November 29, 2009(Re-launch January 1, 2014)
|Closed||December 31, 2013|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)|
MTV jsi Ty! (MTV is You!)
Máš To V Sobě! (It's in you!)Já jsem MTV! (I am MTV!)
|Headquarters||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Sister channel(s)||TV Nova
Other MTV channels
MTV Czech Republic is a 24 hour music and entertainment television channel which serves the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The channel launched on 29 November 2009 under a licensing agreement between MTV Networks Europe, a subsidiary of MTV Networks, owned by the current Viacom from its split of the old Viacom in 2005 and CME, the owner of TV Nova.
The channel features local advertising and sponsorship opportunities, along with subtitled or dubbed programming in the Czech language. The channel uses a similar on-air identity as other MTV channels in Europe and around the world, although it also produces some idents and graphics of its own and has won several awards. It is also one of the few widescreen MTV channels in the world.
MTV Czech broadcasts weekly on average over 100 hours of pure music content, including various blocks, making it the only MTV channel in the world to do so, alongside MTV Adria. The most music on MTV Czech is played on Saturday's, from noon (12:05 PM) till Sunday morning (09:35 AM). That is 21 hours straight of pure music content, which basically respects and reflects the original concept of MTV - a 24-hour TV channel dedicated only to music.
MTV Czech mostly plays current music videos or videos from the past few years, although occasionally it airs older videos from the early 2000s and mid to late 1990s. The oldest music videos to air on the network are "Imagine" by John Lennon and "Like A Virgin" by Madonna. Unlike most of the other music channels from MTV Networks around the world, MTV Czech usually plays music videos uncut and in full length.
- 1 History
- 2 Current Programming
- 3 Former Programming
- 4 Original Movies
- 5 Special Events
- 6 List of artists featured on Top 10
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- MTV Czech was launched on November 29, 2009 at 9 PM, replacing the existing feed of MTV Europe with the region.
- The channel launched with a 60 seconds countdown, playing the instrumental theme of We Will Rock You in the background.
- The first music video ever played was Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z.
- During launch, MTV Czech was one of the first widescreen MTV channels in the world.
- Initially, in promotion supporting the launch and during the first months of broadcast, the original first slogan was "Já jsem MTV!" (I am MTV!).
- The channel broadcasts a range of music and popular culture programming, mainly imported from MTV US, MTV UK, VH1 and BET.
- On November 8, 2010, MTV Czech started airing new channel idents and the station planned to produce and broadcast local idents of its own in the near future.
- On November 18, 2010, MTV Czech was the first station in the world to broadcast the clip for the new single "Sing" by My Chemical Romance in a 'World Exclusive' television premiere.
- On November 29, 2010, MTV Czech celebrated its first year of broadcast with special party-themed videos, which were featured in between shows and focused around a group of young people at a party, along with the moderators of MTV Czech. These videoclips continued throughout the whole week and varied each day, featuring amongst other guests also the famous Czech band Charlie Straight, who have won two EMA awards for Best Czech & Slovak act.
- Since December 6, 2010, MTV Czech started broadcasting regularly short segments/fillers with the two moderators of the station - Hanka Zajíčková and Dominik Turza. These segments involved different topics each week somehow related to the programming of MTV in the Czech Republic.
- On December 17, 2010, MTV Czech debuted the short film Runaway from Kanye West in a European television premiere.
- During Christmas 2010, MTV Czech used winter idents, which could be seen for example also on MTV UK. In comparison with the UK feed, the idents have aired on MTV Czech in their original widescreen aspect ratio and without the channel logo present on screen.
- On January 5, 2011, MTV Czech debuted its first local show called "Backstage". The two moderators of the station - Hanka Zajíčková and Dominik Turza, take viewers behind the scenes of various concerts, parties, festivals and entertainment shows in the Czech Republic. Viewers can also look forward to interviews with popular singers and bands, not only from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, but from abroad as well.
- On February 17, 2011, it was reported that Lady Gaga's video to "Born This Way" will debut on the channel on February 24 in a 'World Exclusive' television premiere, but this did not happen, as the release date was officially postponed to February 28. The video debuted on MTV Czech at 19:01CET local time, Monday, making it still the first TV channel in the world to broadcast the video because of time zone differences.
- Durinf Spring 2011, MTV Czech used the line "On. On MTV!" in its promos as opposed to previously used "On MTV!". Adding a second "On." emphasized that the shows could be seen only on MTV.
- On March 11, 2011, MTV Czech, along with some other MTV channels around the world, debuted the music video to Rope of Foo Fighters in an exclusive premiere.
- On March 14, 2011, MTV Czech debuted a new music video from Czech band Charlie Straight in a 7-day exclusive premiere, showing support also for Czech artists.
- On May 1, 2011, MTV Czech removed the one hour music block "MTV Basechart" from its programming, most probably due to lower ratings. This was the first and also last time the amount of music content on the channel was slightly reduced.
- Instead, later that month, MTV Czech launched two new music blocks titled "Home Sweet Home" and "In Love With MTV", which focus on music from local artists and love songs.
- On May 29 it was announced that MTV Czech will rebrand on July 1, 2011, along with other international MTV channels, adopting the US on-screen logo and new graphics.
- On June 30 the channel started using the new logo on its website and programming guide, although the structure of the website has remained the same.
- On July 1, 2011, 06:00 AM, MTV Czech rebranded and started using the new logo on-air (exactly same as in the US), along with new idents and graphics. They are a unique blend between the previous branding by Universal Everything and the current branding of MTV US by Popkern.
- On July 1, 2011, MTV Czech also changed the words used in the programme progress info bar, highlighting what the viewer is watching, from 'Right Now' to 'You're Watching', making it more simple and personal.
- The third change during the first day of rebrand was the introduction of 'SMS Live' - a service where viewers could text short messages to MTV and see them appear live on-air. It has been limited to the music blocks 'Party Zone' and 'In Love With MTV', which air regularly once a week. 'SMS Live' lasted until December 1, 2011, when it was removed.
- On July 29, 2011, MTV Czech updated its opening theme for 'MTV Menu', replacing the old MTV logo with the new one, confirming that music will remain an important part of its programming even in the future.
- On August 5, 2011, MTV Czech updated also its opening theme for 'MTV Hits', replacing the old MTV logo with the new one, confirming once again that music will remain an important part of its programming even in the future.
- On August 8, 2011, MTV Czech started airing a 1m20s long video using the song 'Youth' by MGMT, with scenes from various music videos and reality shows, to promote the youth. The end of the video features the headline "Youth Is Amazing".
- On August 9, 2011, MTV Czech updated another opening theme with the new logo, this time for the rap/r'n'b block 'Urban'. This is the third opening theme for a music block to be updated after the July rebrand. Eventually all music blocks later updated their themes with the new logo.
- On September 1, 2011, the channel updated its "Coming Up Next - Menu" bumper and started using small image slides (thumbnails) on the side to improve communication with its viewers. It was the first and only MTV channel in Europe to do so.
- In September 2011, MTV Czech premiered the new series Awkward. 2 days ahead of the UK premiere on MTV UK. Apart from that, season 4 of Jersey Shore premiered on the Czech feed 5 days prior to the European premiere on MTV Europe.
- On October 1, 2011, MTV Czech started using a new, third, slogan "MTV - Máš To V Sobě" (It's in you!). The previous, second, slogan "MTV Jsi Ty!" (MTV Is You!) was used from Summer 2010 till September 30, 2011.
- In mid-October MTV Czech started using several other headlines, along with the new slogan, in short 5-second bumpers. These headlines consist of the letters of MTV:
- Má To Vyřvaný (Amp It Up!)
- Musíš To Vidět (You Must See This!)
- Má To Vnady (It Has Bossom!)
- Máme Tady Večírek (We Have A Party!)
- Můžeš To Vyhrát (You Can Win This!)
- The last headline Můžeš To Vyhrát (You Can Win This!) refers to a competition launched by MTV Czech to accompany its second birthday. Viewers could send their own headlines in the upcoming four weeks. Each week a winner was picked, receiving VIP tickets to MTV's private birthday party and the option to see their headline included on-air.
- During Christmas 2011, MTV Czech celebrated the Holidays with themed programming and mainly aired music videos related to Christmas. There were also numerous TOP 10 countdowns, including 'Best of the Decade', 'Best of Urban 2011', 'Best of Europe 2011', 'Best Singer of 2011', 'Best Alternative of 2011' and more. MTV also aired several special bumpers, similar to those of 2010. The Christmas-centred programming lasted from December 24, 2011 to January 1, 2012. The oldest music video to air during the week was Last Christmas by British pop duo Wham!
- From February 9 to February 14, 2012 MTV celebrated Valentine's Day with several new bumpers depicting love between two animated characters. The idents incorporated mainly pink, purple, white and red colours.
- On February 15, 2012, MTV commemorated the death of Whitney Houston and paid tribute to the singer by airing blocks of her music videos throughout the day, a 5 minute segment about her tragic death, a special bumper and running text at the bottom of the screen, a crawler, which stated the following: "We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Whitney Houston, who died on Saturday in Los Angeles at age of 48."
- On March 8, 2012, MTV Czech started using short subliminal messages during broadcast as promotion for the upcoming premiere of Beavis and Butt-head. These animated messages were only 1 to 3 seconds long and involved Beavis and Butt-head randomly appearing on the screen, usually beating each other. Another variant of these messages uses colourful silhouettes of their figures. These messages overlay the channel's logo and on-air graphics and have been used exclusively in the past only on MTV US throughout October 2011 to highlight the series premiere. The messages have evoked interest in viewers, causing them to discuss this curiosity online.
- On March 23, MTV Czech officially started promoting the series premiere using the same teasers that have aired in the U.S. These promos have been localized into Czech and it was the first time that MTV Czech has decided to import original MTV US promos instead of producing their own. Apart from that, 6 new bumpers to promote the series have been produced.
- On April 8, 2012, the controversial original uncut version of Michael Jackson's Black or White (without graffiti) was aired on MTV Czech at 4PM during a Michael Jackson 'Top 10' countdown. Due to the fact the channel decided to air also uncut versions of Michael Jackon's other videos, such as 'Bad' and 'Thriller', it ended up being 22 minutes behind schedule.
- On April 9, 2012, MTV Czech received a refresh and started airing a new set of idents by MTV World Design Studio/Staat/Buck - Group Hug, Chameleon and Party Animal.
- Caged premiered on May 14, 2012.
- In mid-June, MTV rolled out a set of new summer idents by company "123 Klan". They include similar characters, along with a tiger, that have been present in bumpers used for Valentine's Day. MTV Czech produced also several bumpers of its own and headed out to all of the major summer festivals and events. Footage from these events was later shown in "Backstage".
- Throughout the first week of September 2012, MTV updated and started airing new promos for all of its main music blocks - including 'Alternative Nation', 'Home Sweet Home', 'In Love With MTV', 'MTV Rocks!', 'Party Zone', 'Urban' and 'Wishlist'. After a short break, a set of new local DJ's returned to put together the 'Party Zone' playlists.
- On October 1, 2012, MTV Czech received another refresh and started airing a new set of idents by MTV World Design Studio/Buck - Brodown, Dream Big and Infectious.
- At the end of October 2012, MTV Czech rolled out a set of three Halloween-themed bumpers that included characters from similar idents used during summer and spring. These were once again produced by company "123 Klan".
- On November 28, 2012, MTV Czech celebrated its 3rd Birthday, accompanied by a party at local popular club ROXY. The event was open also for the public.
- Throughout December 2012, MTV aired a set of Christmas themed bumpers that followed in footsteps of the previous ones used during Autumn, Summer and Spring. They featured the same characters and depicted them in a snow-covered holiday environment. This was the final set of idents by studio "123 Klan". During the holidays, MTV Czech broadcast again several themed musical blocks and charts, although to a lesser extent than in the previous year.
- By February 2013, MTV Czech began dropping its current on-air branding and adopting parts of the branding of MTV US. Most new promos produced and aired after February 1 use the on-air identity and style of MTV US.
- Underemployed premiered on February 1, 2013 at 9PM.
- The L.A. Complex premiered on April 17, 2013 at 9PM.
- From May 5, 2013 to May 26, 2013, Chill Out Zone was put on hiatus in favor of Geordie Shore seasons one to three marathon re-runs.
- Ke$ha: My Crazy Beautiful Life premiered on May 27, 2013 at 10PM.
- Since late May 2013, MTV Czech has started airing a weekly night block titled "A Night With...", each week focusing on a different artist.
- Washington Heights premiered on June 9, 2013 at 9PM.
- In July MTV started airing two new idents (Adrenaline Rush and Underdog) and most of the music blocks (In Love With MTV, Party Zone, Urban, Wishlist) once again received new promos.
- As of November 2013, MTV Czech Republic still broadcasts music videos in a content ratio of 50% music and 50% reality shows, something not seen in other territories where all of the music content was replaced and moved to other MTV channels or removed completely - as for example in the US, UK, Latin America and Russia. Currently, the only MTV channel with more music content than MTV Czech is MTV Adria, with a content ratio of 70% music and 30% reality shows. MTV Czech also remains one of the few widescreen MTV channels in the world even after the global July 2011 rebrand, though it was expected for the majority of other MTV channels to switch to 16:9 by that time as well.
- In late November 2013 CME announced it will not renew its current licence with MTV Networks for operating the channel and MTV brand in the Czech and Slovak market due to increased debts and will hand over the licence back to Viacom.
- On the same day Viacom has stated it will take charge of MTV Czech Republic as of January 1, 2014, and re-launch the channel in the region on that date, promising more shows, more local content and earlier premieres.
- On November 21, 2013, Viacom announced that MTV Czech will cease operations on December 31, 2013.
- On January 1, 2014, MTV Europe will once again become officially available to viewers in Czech Republic and Slovakia. The channel will continue to be run from London, UK, and will feature additional subtitles and soundtracks in Czech, Hungarian, Romanian and other languages relevant to countries where local MTV feeds have ceased or are planning to cease operations. MTV Europe currently features US-imported longform shows throughout most of its daily schedule, with very little music content appearing late in the night and during the early morning hours. Unlike MTV Czech, it no longer features any specialist music shows.
- Alternative Nation - classic programming, alternative music
- A Night With... - weekly night block featuring various artists
- Budíček - music aimed to wake you up, aka 'Wake Up Hits' or 'AMTV'
- Dancefloor Chart - top ten dance singles of the week (On Hiatus)
- Home Sweet Home - music block of Czech and Slovak artists
- Chill Out Zone - classic programming, relaxing and calm music
- In Love With MTV - music block of love themed music
- MTV GO! - energetic music aimed to charge you up
- MTV Hits - current and past hits
- MTV Live - live performances
- MTV Menu - playlist of music put together daily by MTV, both past and current
- MTV Push - featured artist of the month
- MTV Rocks! - music block of rock music, formerly titled 'MTV Rock Chart'
- MTV Unplugged - live performances
- MTV World Stage - live performances
- Music Non Stop - nonstop music of all genres and ages
- Party Zone - classic programming, playlist put together by different local DJ's or MTV each week
- Storytellers - artists telling stories and performing in front of a live audience (on hiatus)
- This Is The New Sh*t - newest music from various artists, updated each week
- TOP 10 - top 10 singles of various artists, changes each day/week (list featured below)
- TOP 20 - various artists and their top 20 commercial hits
- Urban - music block of hip-hop, rap and r'n'b'; both old and new
- Wishlist - current music viewers can vote on each week through the MTV website
- Backstage - pre-recorded or live backstage coverage of various festivals, concerts and events with the two hosts
- Movies.MTV - short weekly highlights of current theatrical releases
- 16 and Pregnant (Season 4/Reruns)
- Catfish (Season 2/Premiere)
- Geordie Shore (Season 6/Premiere)
- Jersey Shore (Season 6/Reruns)
- Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life (Season 1/Reruns)
- MADE (Season 12/Reruns)
- Plain Jane (Season 2/Reruns)
- Punk'd (Season 9/Reruns)
- Ridiculousness (Season 3/Premiere)
- Snooki & JWoww (Season 2/Reruns)
- Teen Mom (Season 4/Reruns)
- Teen Mom 2 (Season 4/Premiere)
- The Real World (Season 27/On Hiatus)
- Washington Heights (Season 1/Reruns)
- Young and Married (Season 1/Reruns)
- The Challenge (Season 23:Battle of the Seasons/On Hiatus)
- Awkward. (Season 3/Premiere)
- MTV2's Guy Code (Season 1/Reruns)
- The Inbetweeners (Season 1/Reruns)
- Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous (Season 1/Premiere)
- Skins (Season 1/Reruns)
- Hollywood Heights (Season 1/Premiere)
- The L.A. Complex (Season 1/Reruns)
- Underemployed (Season 1/Reruns)
- Beavis and Butt-head (Season 9/Reruns)
- Crash Canyon (Season 1/Reruns)
- 8th and Ocean
- 50 Cent: The Money and the Power
- America's Best Dance Crew
- Bam's Unholy Nation
- Blue Mountain State
- Boiling Points
- Breaking From Above
- Celebrity Bites
- Crank Yankers
- Dance Life
- Death Valley
- Disaster Date
- Extreme Cribs
- Famous Crime Scene
- Fist of Zen
- Friend Zone
- From G's to Gents
- Fur TV
- Hogan Knows Best
- Human Giant
- I Used To Be Fat
- Late Friday Music With MTV
- Life of Ryan
- Moving in
- MTV at the Movies
- MTV Basechart
- MTV Crispy News
- MTV Hoods
- MTV Slips
- My Life As Liz
- My Super Sweet 16
- Nitro Circus
- Paris Hilton's Dubai BFF
- Paris Hilton's My New BFF
- Peak Season
- Pimp My Ride
- Room Raiders
- Savage U
- Slope Style (2010)
- Teen Cribs
- The Buried Life
- The City
- The Family Crews
- The Hard Times of RJ Berger
- The Hills
- The Pauly D Project
- The X Effect
- When I Was 17
- Ladies Man: A MADE Movie (July 17, 2013)
- Runaway (December 17, 2010)
- Windsurfer (December 06, 2013)
- 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief (December 14, 2012)
- 40 Greatest R'n'B Hits (December 2012)
- 50 Cent Meets Reggie (April 4, 2011)
- 100 Greatest Songs Of The 00's
- 100 Sexiest Artists (July 15, 2013)
- A Night With 30 Seconds To Mars
- A Night With 50 Cent
- A Night With Beyoncé
- A Night With Black Eyed Peas
- A Night With Britney Spears
- A Night With Green Day
- A Night With Christina Aguilera
- A Night With Kanye West
- A Night With Kings Of Leon
- A Night With Lady Gaga
- A Night With Michael Jackson
- A Night With Snoop Dogg
- A Video Collection With Ozzy
- Adam MCA Yauch - A Memoir
- Amy Winehouse - An MTV Special Tribute
- Art Breaks (2012)
- Baby High (Teen Mom Special)
- Beach Break Live 2012 (May 26, 2013)
- Beyoncé - Year Of 4 Album Special
- Bring Me To 1D (2012)
- Britney Spears - I Am The Femme Fatale
- Defining Music Moments 2011
- Demi Lovato - Stay Strong
- Elite Model Look 2011
- Elite Model Look 2011 - The Journey
- Elite Model Look 2012
- EMA Hotlist 2012
- Christmas Party Special (December 24, 2011 - January 1, 2012)
- Christmas Hits (December 24, 2012)
- iTunes Festival 2012 (January/February 2013)
- Isle of MTV Malta 2011
- Isle of MTV Malta 2012
- Isle of MTV Malta 2013 (August 4, 2013)
- Jackass Special (December 27–30, 2010)
- Jersey Shore 6: Dictionary Special (January 17, 2013)
- Jersey Shore 6: Gym, Tan, Look Back Special (December 2012)
- Jersey Shore 6: Restore The Shore (January 17, 2013)
- Justin Bieber: Live (2012)
- Kesha's TOP 50 U.S. Party (November 2010)
- Lady Gaga - Inside The Outside
- Linkin Park - Transformers 3 World Premiere Special from Moscow
- Me, Myself and HIV (2010, 2011)
- Miley: The Movement (October 13, 2013)
- MTV Buzz (2012/13)
- MTV Day Special - 16 and Pregnant (September 26, 2012)
- MTV EMA 2013 Nomination Special
- MTV Meets Lady Gaga
- MTV Special: Dev (October 15, 2012)
- MTV Stars of 2013 (December 2013)
- Nicki Minaj - My Time Now
- One Direction: Up All Night Live (2012)
- Snowbombing 2012 (May 19, 2013)
- Songs for Japan
- TOP 50 Music Videos of 2010 (December 17, 2010)
- UK Hosted Countdowns 2012 (November/December 2012)
- VH1 Divas Live (January 18, 2013)
- VH1 Do Something Awards (January 25, 2013)
- BET Awards - Pre-recorded
- MTV Europe Music Awards - Live (including the red carpet)
- MTV Movie Awards - Pre-recorded, 3-7 days after the live broadcast, including the red carpet
- MTV Video Music Awards - Pre-recorded, 3-7 days after the live broadcast, including the red carpet
- MTV Video Music Awards Japan - Pre-recorded
List of artists featured on Top 10
- Thirty Seconds to Mars
- Avril Lavigne
- Basement Jaxx
- Bruno Mars
- Busta Rhymes
- Depeche Mode
- Destiny's Child
- Enrique Iglesias
- Florence and the Machine
- Foo Fighters
- Green Day
- Gwen Stefani
- Chris Brown
- Christina Aguilera
- Justin Bieber
- Justin Timberlake
- Kaiser Chiefs
- Kanye West
- Karel Gott
- Katy Perry
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kings of Leon
- Kylie Minogue
- Lady Gaga
- Lil Wayne
- Linkin Park
- Maroon 5
- Massive Attack
- Michael Jackson
- My Chemical Romance
- Nelly Furtado
- Nicki Minaj
- Pharrell Williams
- Robbie Williams
- Taio Cruz
- The Killers
- Whitney Houston