MU.LAB 3 on Mac OS X
|Stable release||5.5.1 / March 1, 2014|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
|Type||Digital audio workstation|
MU.LAB (called MUTON during development and then LUNA when first released in 2006) is a digital audio workstation (DAW) for Mac OS X and Windows developed by MUTOOLS. It is available in three flavors: a free version, which is restricted to four tracks, and XT and UL versions which have fewer restrictions. However, because parts on a track can be assigned racks (i.e., instruments) individually and can overlap, this restriction to four tracks in the free version still allows creating music with more than four concurrent voices.
The program can be run directly from a USB memory stick. MU.LAB can also serve as a ReWire master and it can be run on Linux using the Wine Windows emulator, although this is not officially supported at this point.
On February 11, 2012, MuTools released MuLab 4 for Windows and Mac OS X
On July 9, 2012, MuTools released the 64-bit version of MuLab 4 for Windows
One thing that is special about Mu.Lab is the possibility to have several compositions within one project between which one can switch instantly.
For example one can record a quick demo version of a track and then create a second composition within the same project to make a more serious arrangement.
Or it can be used to make different mixes or arrangements of the same track without the need to load a different file each time.
All compositions within a project make use of the same audio- and sequences-pool.
Mu.Lab is delivered with a bunch of built-in instruments and effects, most notably the MuVerb, MuDrum and the all modular MUX.
Since Version 4 there's also a virtual keyboard implemented which can be used to play any instrument with a common computer keyboard.
- Creates, records, edits and plays multi-track audio & MIDI.
- Flexible tracks and sub-tracks support audio, MIDI and automation parts.
- Next generation modular architecture.
- Top-quality uncompromised sound engine.
- Automatic mono/stereo handling.
- Advanced integration between composer and sound engine.
- Automation parts let you easily automate any parameter in the modular tree structure, even the deepest nested ones.
- Effective support for slicing and recycling sampled drum loops.
- Streamlined and versatile mixing desk.
- Option for modular routing of all mixer signals resulting in ultimate flexibility.
- Integrated world-class synths, samplers and effects.
- New MuSynth workhorse synth/sampler.
- New hybrid MuDrum module.
- Deep modular editing lets you build your own synths and effects, including nice front panels.
- Includes hundreds of inspiring instruments and effect patches.
- Easy preset file management.
- Top-quality support for audio & MIDI VST plug-ins.
- ReWire Master.
- Multi-session support.
- Template sessions.
- Restyled and streamlined user-friendly interface and workflow.
- Multi-monitor support.
- Plays on Mac OS X and Windows.