MZKT (МЗКТ or МЗКЦ, Belarusian: Мінскі завод колавых цягачоў, Minsk Wheel Tractor Plant (MWTP)) is a manufacturer of heavy off-road vehicles, especially military trucks, based in Minsk, in Belarus; it was formerly a division of MAZ. MZKT civilian trucks are branded VOLAT (Belarusian: волат, literally means Giant).
In 1954, MZKT, the Minsk Wheeled Tractor Plant, was founded to develop artillery tractors; it then developed a series of heavy weapons transporters for the military of the USSR, including heavy offroad trucks such as the MAZ-537 and MAZ-7310. It was a division of Minsk Automobile Plant (known as MAZ). The name in Russian is "Минский завод колёсных тягачей"; this is abbreviated MZKT in English. In 1991, MZKT was spun off into a separate company; its former parent, MAZ, continues to make a broader range of heavy vehicles.
In 1992, military orders slowed, and MZKT attempted to adapt its products to civilian uses, such as mining trucks and crane carriers.
Many post-independence MZKT trucks continued to use a MAZ cab which resembled the Iveco Turbostar cab; starting in 2010 these were replaced with Belkarplastik cabs, which are also used by Yarovit trucks.
- MZKT-79221 transporter erector launcher for the Topol-M missile; a successor to the MAZ-7917, which was, in turn, a successor to the MAZ-547
MZKT-74135 8x8 tank transporter
- MZKT-79086, 12x12 oilfield truck
- MZKT-7429, 8x8 offroad tractor
- MZKT-790976, 8x8 oilfield truck
- MZKT-75165 8x8 tipper
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MZKT vehicles.|
- MZKT product listing
- Volat Defense
- Review in the Russian Journal of Motor Vehicles
- Overview of vehicle manufacturers in Belarus
- "Go-anywhere, do-anything MZKT/VOLAT specialist trucks on Biglorryblog. Magnificent monster machines from Minsk! - Biglorryblog". 22 March 2009. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "VOLAT - Minsk Wheel Tractor Plant". Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Minsk Wheeled Tractor Plant (MZKT)". Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Biglorryblog and who used the old Iveco TurboStar cab....? The Brochure King rides to the rescue! - Biglorryblog". 23 March 2009. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "MZKT - 700650 (Commercial vehicles)". 2010. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Point Defence System Vehicles". May 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Mighty MAZ and MZKT 12x12 missile carriers...or should that be tippers? Only Vladimir could deliver such behemoths to Biglorryblog". 22 May 2008. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Iskander (SS-26 Stone) Short-Range Ballistic Missile". Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "MZKT-74135 Tank Transporter". Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Wanshan WS2400 (8 x 8) heavy-duty off-road vehicle (China) - Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics". Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Monster MZKT oilfield truck! Vladimir is back on Biglorryblog with a real bang! - Biglorryblog". 21 January 2009. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Big Russian oilfield trucks...the mighty MZKT makes a welcome return to Biglorryblog thanks to Vladimir!". 13 February 2008. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "More mighty MZKT Russian trucks on Biglorryblog. And how much scow end do you need?". 26 December 2007. Retrieved 29 August 2012.