M Innas Ali
|M Innas Ali|
September 1, 1916|
|Died||May 3, 2010(aged 93)|
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka (B.S.),
New York University (M.E)
London University (Ph.D.)
M Innas Ali was a Bangladeshi physicist and founding chairman of Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission.
- Lecturer, Islamia College, Calcutta, (1940–1942)
- Technical Officer, Government Test House, Calcutta (1942–1946);
- Research Engineer, Mackay Radio, USA (1947–1948);
- Senior Lecturer, Reader, Professor and Head of the Department of Physics, University of Dhaka, (1948–1963).
- Member, Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (1963–1967);
- Professor and Head of Physics Department, Dean of Science, University of Dhaka, (1968–1972);
- Vice-Chancellor, University of Chittagong, (1972–1973);
- Founding Member, University Grants Commission;
- Founding Chairman, University Grants Commission (Bangladesh) (1973–1976).
- Science Adviser to the President of Bangladesh; Member, Planning Commission (1976–1979);
- Professor of Nuclear Engineering, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah (1979–1982)
Honors and awards
- Order of Sitara-i-Quaid-e-Azam (SQA), 1969;
- Dayemi Complex Peace Award, 1986;
- Bangladesh Kachi Kanta Science Award, 1989;
- Bangladesh Independence Day National Award for Science and Technology, 1991
- He was offered the position of Bangladesh National Professor in 1994
- Received Lifetime Achievement in Science and Technology Award, Bangladesh Academy of Sciences 2007;
- Science Education and Research, Honorary Fellowship, Bangla Academy 2007
- Fellow, Pakistan Academy of Sciences (elected, 1960);
- President, Pakistan Association of Scientists and Scientific Professions (1964–1967);
- President, Pakistan Association for the Advancement of Science (1970);
- Founding President, Bangladesh Association of Scientists and Scientific Professions (1973);
- Vice-Chairman Bangladesh Society for Conservation of Nature and Environment (1981),
- President, Dhaka University Alumni Association (1987)
- President, Rotary Club of Dhaka (1970–1971).
- Founding Fellow of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences.
- Member, Pakistan delegation to the UNESCO General Conference in 1962 and 1964;
- Member, Pakistan delegation to the International Atomic Energy Annual Conferences (IAEA), 1964 and 1966
- Governor, Board of Governors IAEA, 1966–1967 and 1975–1976
- Member, Bangladesh delegation to UNESCO General Conference in 1974 and 1976
- Member, Expert Committee of Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) for founding IFSTAD (1975–1979)
- Elected Fellow of the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in 1991.
- President Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (1988–1992).
Professor Ali led Pakistan delegation to the UN Conference on Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy held in Geneva in 1958 and 1964. He led the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission Expert Mission to Japan in 1965. . Led Bangladesh delegation to the IAEA General Conference in 1974, 1975 and 1976. Led the Bangladesh delegation to the UN Preparatory Committee Meetings for United Nations Conference on Science and Technology for Development, (UNCED) held in Vienna in August–September, 1979; Participated in Pugwash Conferences in 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1990 and 1991. Led Bangladesh delegation in the ICSU General Assembly held in Sofia, Bulgaria in October, 1991. Established Welfare Trusts in University of Dhaka and Barhata Pilot High School.
- "Professor M. Innas Ali". Bas.org.bd. 2001-09-16. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Star Online Report (2010-05-03). "Prof Innas Ali passes away". Thedailystar.net. Retrieved 2011-11-25.