|First appearance||Martian Manhunter Vol 2 #0 (October 1998)|
|Created by||John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake|
|Alter ego||Ma'alefa'ak J'onnz|
Ma'alefa'ak is the twin brother and archenemy of J'onn J'onnz, known to Humans as the Martian Manhunter. Ma'alefa'ak was led to believe he was the only member of the Martian race born without telepathy and a weakness to fire. In truth, he had partaken in the mind-rape of J'onn's wife, M'yri'ah, and when caught, the Council of Mars performed a rare act to strip Ma'alefa'ak of his telepathy and his very identity as punishment. Feeling ostracized because of his perceived genetic differences, Ma'alefa'ak was the architect of an extinction-level event. This event is known as H’ronmeer’s Curse. H’ronmeer’s Curse was a plague of fire, this curse attacked Martians via their telepathic abilities. Whenever a Martian attempted to use their telepathic gifts or commune with the Great Mind, they would fall victim to the Curse, and ultimately burn to death. With the exceptions of Ma'alefa'ak's brother, J'onn, and himself, nearly all Green Martians on the planet died as a result of Ma'alefa'ak's handiwork. For centuries, Ma'alefa'ak continued to live in the ruins of Mars, unaware that his brother had survived the plague, and had been transported through space and time to the planet Earth. Several years ago, Ma'alefa'ak learned of J'onn's existence, and followed him back to Earth in an effort to complete the genocide of the Martian race, by destroying its last surviving son. Ma'alefa'ak later ambushed the Martian Manhunter and assumed his identity in order to infiltrate the Justice League and began his plans to take over Earth. The real Martian Manhunter managed to recover and helped the Justice League defeat Ma'alefa'ak. When the Manhunter re-opened Ma'alefa'ak's telepathy during a fire, Superman and Orion used a Boom Tube to save Orion while Ma'alefa'ak is consumed by the fires. It is assumed that Ma'alefa'ak is deceased.
Powers and abilities
Ma'alefa'ak possesses abilities similar to Martian Manhunter and all other Martians. He has Superhuman strength and stamina comparable to that of a Kryptonian. He is invulnerable and has been shown to repel attacks from various superhumans. He can enhance this invulnerability by making himself super dense. This invulnerability also extends to his being able to survive in the vacuum of space. He has enhanced reflexes and move at high speeds. He also has the ability to shapeshift and he can use this to regenerate himself at a rapid rate. His shapeshifting can be used at will and in an unlimited application. This also extends to him being able to expand or lengthen his limbs or to create natural body weapons. This control over his molecular structure also gives him the abilities of invisibility and intangibility. He can use his lungs to store more air than usual and to expel it in a forceful blast.
He is a powerful psionic with major applications of this being telepathy and telekinesis. He can use the telekinesis to fly at extremely fast speeds. His telepathy is one of his strongest abilities and allows him a wide variety of abilities including creating illusions, locating other sentient beings, controlling other’s minds, inducing sleep, astral travel, and transfer information to people directly. His psionic abilities can also manifest themselves in a psionic blast. A further application of his powers is Martian vision, in which he expels energy from his eyes. Martian’s have nine senses compared to humans, which gives them stronger perception of the world. After the mental rape of his brothers wife, M'yri'ah, the Council of Mars removed his telepathic powers.
Like all Martians, he can be weakened by fire. This comes in the form of pyrophobia, with fire being the Martian's "Achilles heel", equivalent to Kryptonians weakness to Kryptonite. Exposure to fire typically causes him to lose his ability to maintain his physical form, 'melting' into a pool of writhing green plasma. It was revealed, during the Trial By Fire storyline, that the Martian weakness to fire is an inbuilt psychosomatic effect, placed in the Martian race long ago by the Guardians of the Universe. The purpose of this was to prevent the Martians from reverting to a previous evolutionary state in which they were highly aggressive, on the verge of interstellar conquest, and required flames and the psychic suffering of others in order to reproduce.
After the removal of his telepathic powers he is now immune to fire which allows his to survive the H’ronmeer’s Curse a plague of fire, this curse attacked Martians via their telepathic abilities.
In other media
- Ma'alefa'ak appears in Justice League: Doom voiced by Carl Lumbly. Unlike the comic book version, Ma'alefa'ak retains his telepathy along his immunity to extreme heat as he reads Vandal Savage's mind several times throughout the film. He appears as a member of Vandal Savage's Legion of Doom. Ma'aleafa'ak was selected by Savage as his counterpart to the Martian Manhunter, though the fact that they are brothers is never stated. During J'onn's birthday party at a bar, he disguises himself as a blonde woman and buys his brother a drink laced with a poison. He reveals himself to J'onn by mentioning his "Martian Vision" which allowed Martian Manhunter to see that the woman was actually Ma'alefa'ak. Ma'alefa'ak revealed to his brother that his drink was poisoned with a toxin that his body would naturally sweat out before telling him it is magnesium sulfite (which is highly flammable). The poison also makes J'onn publicly revert to his Martian form. Ma'alefa'ak lights his brother on fire, staying only to watch him burn for a few minutes. He is the first member to realize the full extent of Vandal Savage's plans and powers, and stays alongside him for his true plan. When the Justice League storms the Hall of Doom, Ma'alefa'ak faces his brother in battle mainly shapeshifting into different alien monsters to fight each other. They duel each other in the launch site for Vandal Savage's rocket which proves to be Ma'alefa'ak's undoing. When Vandal Savage launches the rocket, the starting flames make the Martian Manhunter realize that the rocket is taking off and seeps through the floor, abandoning Ma'alefalak to be supposedly killed by the flames.
- Ma'alefa'ak is referenced in the comic spin-off of Young Justice. According to Miss Martian, Ma'alefa'ak is the name of a rabid animal on Mars.
- Martian Manhunter Vol. 2 #0
- Martian Manhunter Vol. 2 #3-6
- Martian Manhunter Vol 2 #0 (October 1998)
- JLA #84-89 (October–December 2003)
- James Harvey (2011-09-28). "Warner Home Video Announces Voice Cast For "Justice League: Doom" Animated Film". Worldsfinestonline.com. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- Ma'alefa'ak at DC Comics Wiki
- Ma'alefa'ak at Comic Vine
- The Vile Menagerie: MALEFIC at The Idol-Head of Diabolu