Ma Zhiyuan (simplified Chinese: 马致远; traditional Chinese: 馬致遠; pinyin: Mă Zhìyuăn, c. 1250–1321), courtesy name Dongli (東籬), was a Chinese poet and celebrated playwright, a native of Dadu (大都, present-day Beijing) during the Yuan Dynasty.
Among his achievements is the development and popularizing of the sanqu (散曲) lyric type of Classical Chinese poetry forms. The poem "Autumn Thoughts" (秋思, Qiūsī) from the book '东篱乐府' is the most widely known of his sanqu poems.
Only seven of his 15 plays are extant, of which four have been translated into English:
- Autumn in Han Palace, 漢宮秋 (Full title: Breaking a Troubling Dream: A Lone Goose in Autumn over the Palaces of Han, 破幽夢孤雁漢宮秋))
- The Yellow-Millet Dream, 黃粱夢 (Full title: On the Road to Handan, Awakening from a Dream Dreamt While Cooking Millet, 邯鄲道省悟黃粱夢)
- Yueyang Tower, 岳陽樓 (Full title: Lü Dongbin Gets Drunk Three Times in Yueyang Tower, 呂洞賓三醉岳陽樓)
- Tears on the Blue Gown, 青衫淚 (Full title: The Overseer of Jiangzhou: Tears on the Blue Gown, 江州司馬青衫淚)
- 任風子 (Full title: 馬丹陽三度任風子)
- 薦福碑 (Full title: 半夜雷轟薦福碑)
- 陳搏高臥 (Full title: 西華山陳搏高臥)
A sanqu (散曲) poem, composed to the metric pattern Tianjingsha (天淨沙):
- 《秋思》 Autumn Thoughts
- 枯藤老樹昏鴉。 A Withered vine, an ancient tree, crows at dusk
- 小橋流水人家。 A Little bridge, a flowing stream, some huts
- 古道西風瘦馬。 An old road, wind out of the west, an emaciated horse
- 夕陽西下，斷腸人在天涯。 A heart-broken man on the horizon at sunset.
- Cihai: Page 1132-1133.
- Ci hai bian ji wei yuan hui (辞海编辑委员会）. Ci hai （辞海）. Shanghai: Shanghai ci shu chu ban she （上海辞书出版社）, 1979.
|This article about a poet from China is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|