MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates
|Industry||Information technology services, Engineering services, Communications satellite|
|Headquarters||Richmond, BC, Canada|
Daniel E. Friedmann (President and CEO)Anil Wiresekara (EVP and CFO)
|Revenue||$1.8 billion CAD (2013)|
|Net income||$105.0 million CAD (2013)|
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. (TSX: MDA) is a Richmond, British Columbia global communications and information company providing operational solutions to commercial and government organizations worldwide. MDA has locations throughout Canada, and the United States operating under the MDA brand name.
- Airborne Surveillance Solutions
- Satellite Ground station
- Maritime Information Systems
- Aviation Information Systems
- Geospatial information services, including Satellite Data Distribution, Value-Added Information Services and Intelligence Information Services
- Communications satellite
- Communications satellite payloads
- Communications satellite subsystems and related ground systems
- Commercial satellite hosted payload services
- Robotic surgery research via its NeuroArm development program
- Space robotics, satellite information and payload systems
- Radar and optical satellite imagery, and, remote sensing
MDA is a member of the British Columbia Technology Industry Association.
- 2012 - acquired Space Systems/Loral for US $ 875 million, making MDA one of the world's leading communication satellite companies.[dated info]
- 2011 – announced funding partner and inaugural launch customer (Intelsat) for the MDA Space Infrastructure Servicing vehicle, a refueling depot and service spacecraft for communication satellites in geosynchronous orbit—slated to be the first in-space propellant depot in spaceflight history. Launch planned for 2015.
- 2008 – In June MDA wins the British Columbia Technology Industry Association Impact Award for Best Application of Technology for their RADARSAT-2 Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellite.
- 2008 – Canadian government officially blocks sale of MDA to ATK on May 8, 2008
- 2008 – MDA announces sale of its Information Systems and Geospacial Services operations to Alliant Techsystems of Edina, Minnesota for $1.325 billion. However, amongst much media coverage, the sale was rejected by the federal government of Canada under the Investment Canada Act.
- 2007 – acquires Allied Spacesystems, Inc (ASI located in Pasadena, California, USA)
- 2007 – named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, as published in Maclean's magazine.
- 2006 – acquires Lyttle & Co. (Belfast, Northern Ireland), property and related search information
- 2006 – acquires xit2 Ltd. (Nr Charlbury, Oxfordshire, UK), information exchange solutions for lenders and home surveyors and other outsourced service providers
- 2006 – expands into financial services with acquisition of Mindbox, a supplier of advanced decision systems for mortgage lending, for $12.6 million USD, with up to $10.75 million contingent on performance
- 2005 – acquires business of EMS Technologies Canada (previously RCA Canada, which then became the Montreal division of SPAR Aerospace), a major supplier and subcontractor, for $8.9 million
- 2004 – acquires Marshall & Swift / Boeckh for $337.8 million, with $104.9 million contingent on performance.
- 2003 – acquires Millar & Bryce, a commercial provider of land information in Scotland, for $21.32 million, with $1.76 million contingent on performance.
- 2002 – acquires Dynacs for $3.1 million, with an additional $6.8 million contingent on performance
- 2002 – acquires Automated Mining Systems of Aurora, Ontario for $225,000
- 2000/01 – Orbital Sciences divests its MDA shares through an initial public offering; trades as TSX: MDA
- 2000 – enters joint venture with LandAmerica Financial Group to create LandMDA, a provider of property reports to lenders
- 1996 – acquires Iotek, a supplier of signal processing and sonar technology for military customers, for undisclosed sum
- 1995 – MDA acquired by Orbital Sciences for $67 million in stock
- "MDA Factsheet". Archived from the original on 2014-02-25. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates CEO Announces Transformational US Acquisition Conference (Transcript). Retrieved on 06-27-12.
- "Intelsat Picks MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. for Satellite Servicing". press release. CNW Group. Retrieved 2011-03-15. "MDA plans to launch its Space Infrastructure Servicing ("SIS") vehicle into near geosynchronous orbit, where it will service commercial and government satellites in need of additional fuel, re-positioning or other maintenance. ... MDA and Intelsat will work together to finalize specifications and other requirements over the next six months before both parties authorize the build phase of the program. The first refueling mission is to be available 3.5 years following the commencement of the build phase."
- 2008 TIA Award Winners. BCTIA. Retrieved on 07-11-08.
- "Minister of Industry Confirms Initial Decision on Proposed Sale of Macdonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. to Alliant Techsystems Inc.". Industry Canada. 2008-05-08. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- "MDA Selling Canadarm Business to U.S. Firm". CBC News. 2008-01-08. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Federal government blocks sale of MDA space division". CBC News. 2008-04-10. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- "MDA Acquires U.S.-Based Alliance Spacesystems". Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Reasons for Selection, 2007 Canada's Top 100 Employers".
- "MDA Acquires Legal Search Firm In Northern Ireland". Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "MDA Acquires Leading Provider Of Electronic Exchange Solutions To Lenders And Surveyors In UK". Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "Annual Report 2005". Archived from the original on 2006-05-06. Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "MDA Acquires Leading Land Information Company in Scotland". Archived from the original on 2006-05-06. Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "MDA Acquires Small Robotic Mining Company". Archived from the original on 2006-05-15. Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "In Real Estate, Geographic Information and the Internet Changes Everything". Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "MDA to Acquire Iotek Inc. of Halifax". Archived from the original on 2006-05-06. Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- "Orbital Sciences Deal". New York Times. 1995-09-06. Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- Official website
- Robotic Surgery project neuroArm at University of Calgary
- "Feds delay ruling on sale of Canada's top space firm".