|This article relies on references to primary sources. (May 2009)|
The April 2004 Issue Cover for Macworld.
|Categories||Computing / Mac|
|Company||Mac Publishing (IDG)|
Macworld is a web site and monthly computer magazine dedicated to products and software of Apple inc. It is published by Mac Publishing, which is headquartered in San Francisco, California. Published since 1984, the magazine has the largest audited circulation (both total and newsstand) of Macintosh-focused magazines in North America, more than double its nearest competitor, MacLife (formerly MacAddict). Macworld was founded by David Bunnell (publisher) and Andrew Fluegelman (editor). It is the oldest Macintosh magazine still in publication.
In 1997, the publication was renamed to Macworld, incorporating MacUser (a name reflected subtly on the magazine's Table of Contents page) to reflect the consolidation of the Ziff-Davis-owned MacUser magazine into the International Data Group-owned Macworld within the new Mac Publishing joint venture between the two publishers. In 1999, the combined company also purchased the online publication MacCentral Online, because Macworld didn't have a powerful online news component at the time. In late 2001 International Data Group (IDG) bought out Ziff-Davis' share of Mac Publishing, making it a wholly owned subsidiary of IDG.
The magazine is published in many countries, either by other IDG subsidiaries or by outside publishers who have licensed the brand name and its content. These editions include Australia, Germany (Macwelt), Italy, Spain, Sweden (MacWorld), Turkey, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Indonesia. Its content is also incorporated into a number of other IDG publications.
The magazine's publisher licenses its name to another IDG subsidiary, IDG World Expo, for the Macworld Conference & Expo, which takes place every January at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco.
Each year Macworld uses its expertise in technology to find the latest and greatest in the market.
Winners for 2011 include:
Apple Product of the Year: Apple iPad 2
Best Professional Storage: Seagate Technology
iPad Business App of the Year: Revel Systems
Best Professional Software: Filmaker
The Macworld Podcast is a weekly podcast published by Macworld, a magazine and web site devoted to Apple's Macintosh computers. It is hosted by Macworld Senior Editor Chris Breen, and consists mostly of interviews with Macworld editors and other Mac luminaries. Macworld editorial director Jason Snell is a frequent guest and occasional guest host. The program's original host was Cyrus Farivar.
The Macworld Podcast began life on April 26, 2005 as the "Geek Factor Podcast," but was upgraded into the official "Macworld Podcast" with its fifth installment, in August 2005.
- Macworld (US) - http://www.macworld.com/
- Macworld France - http://www.macworld.fr/
- Macworld UK - http://www.macworld.co.uk/
- Macwelt (Germany) - http://www.macwelt.de/
- Macworld Italia - http://www.macworld.it/
- Macworld (Spain) - http://www.idg.es/macworld/
- MacWorld (Sweden) - http://macworld.idg.se/
- Macworld (Australia) - http://www.macworld.com.au
- Macworld (Indonesia) - http://www.macworld.web.id
- Macworld (The Netherlands) - http://macworld.nl
- "IDG and Ziff to Merge Mac Publications". PCWorld. PCWorld Communications, Inc. Archived from the original on 2010-03-29. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Winners - Macworld Awards 2011". Macworld. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Lisa Falzone, Co-Founder & CEO Revel Systems, on Her $3.7m Funding Round & Best iPad Business App of the Year Award". Macworld. Retrieved 22 November 2012.