|Benedito Lacerda Airport
Aeroporto Benedito Lacerda
|IATA: MEA – ICAO: SBME|
|Elevation AMSL||2 m / 7 ft|
|Metric tonnes of cargo||374|
Sources: Airport Website, ANAC
It is operated by Infraero.
The airport was established in the 1960s as an airfield for general aviation and a Flying club. In the 1980s the runway was paved and an apron and a terminal with 941 m² were constructed, enabling Macaé Airport to fully support the operations related to the Campos basin. In fact, most of its movement (98%) is related to helicopter flights to/from offshore oil platforms of the Campos basin. Its apron has 6 positions for fixed-wing aircraft and 38 positions for rotorcrafts.
Airlines and destinations
|Azul Brazilian Airlines operated by TRIP Linhas Aéreas||Campinas-Viracopos, Campos dos Goytacazes, Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont, Vitória|
Accidents and incidents
- 28 June 1984: a TAM Airlines Embraer EMB 110C Bandeirante registration PP-SBC operating a chartered flight by Petrobras from Rio de Janeiro-Galeão to Macaé flew into São João Hill while descending through rain and clouds over the Municipality of São Pedro da Aldeia. All 16 passengers and 2 crew died. The passengers were journalists of well-known Brazilian networks who were preparing a special report about the Campos Basin oil fields.
- 31 March 2006: a Team Let 410 UVP-E20 registration PT-FSE operating flight 6865, en route from Macaé to Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont crashed over the Municipality of Rio Bonito. Trying to avoid an area of poor weather, the aircraft struck trees near the top of Pico da Pedra Bonita at an elevation of 1920 feet. All 19 passengers and crew died.
The airport is located 6 km (4 mi) from downtown Macaé.
- "Movimento operacional da rede Infraero de janeiro a dezembro de 2012" (in Portuguese). Infraero. January 14, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "Airport Official Website" (in Portuguese). Infraero.
- "Lista de aeródromos públicos" (in Portuguese). ANAC.
- "Accident description PP-SBC". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- Germano da Silva, Carlos Ari César (2008). "Visumento". O rastro da bruxa: história da aviação comercial brasileira no século XX através dos seus acidentes 1928-1996 (in Portuguese) (2 ed.). Porto Alegre: EDIPUCRS. pp. 338–341. ISBN 978-85-7430-760-2.
- "Accident description PT-FSE". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- Airport information for SBME at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for SBME at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Current weather for SBME at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for MEA at Aviation Safety Network
- Macaé Airport Photo Archive at airliners.net