Tempo Beer Industries
|Barrels per year||0.5 million hectoliters|
|Owner(s)||Publicly traded since 1982 on the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange|
Tempo Beer Industries (Tempo) is Israel's largest brewer and the country's second-largest beverage company.
Tempo produces three brands of pale lager:
- Goldstar, which was acquired in a 1985 merger
- Maccabee, also marketed in the United States and Europe
- Nesher Malt, brewed in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions
Goldstar (Hebrew: גולדסטאר) is a 4.9% ABV pale lager which has been produced since the 1950s. It is marketed as a dark lager beer ("בירה לאגר כהה"), though it is pale golden in appearance. In January 2007, Tempo introduced 4% Goldstar Light with a commercial starring Moshe Datz, from the Israeli duet Duo Datz. The beer is certified kosher by the Chief Rabbi of Netanya, Israel.
Nesher Malt was the first commercial beer to be brewed in Israel. It is produced in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic styles, and has been brewed since 1935.
Since 1992, Tempo has been an importer of Heineken lager, and in 2005 they became the sole distributor in Israel for Samuel Adams lager. Heineken International owns a 40% share of Tempo, which has its main office in Netanya.
Barkan Wine Cellars
- Goldstar beer was referred to in the song "Tel Aviv" by Duran Duran in their 1981 album Duran Duran.
- For some reason, at many American Reform Jewish summer camps an old Tempo commercial jingle is often sung. There is a common perception that Tempo is a soft drink brand, not a brewery.
- "Tempo Beer". www.ratebeer.com. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "Goldstar from Tempo Beer, a Pale Lager style beer: An unofficial page for Goldstar from Tempo Beer in Netanya, Israel". www.ratebeer.com. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- Lyrics of the song "Tel Aviv"
- Shireinu: the Complete Jewish Songbook, page 326
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goldstar.|