|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|No. of offices||One|
|No. of lawyers||Approximately 305|
|No. of employees||Approximately 505|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Julian Howard
|Revenue||£139.75 million (2013/14)|
|Profit per equity partner||£1.2 million (2013/14)|
|Date founded||1875 (London)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Macfarlanes LLP is a corporate law firm headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It advises national and multinational companies, business leaders and high-net-worth individuals in the UK and internationally across the full range of corporate and commercial matters as well as on their private affairs.
In 2013/14 Macfarlanes achieved total revenues of £139.8 million and profits per equity partner of £1.2 million. It is regarded as forming part of the "Silver Circle" of leading UK law firms.
Macfarlanes was founded in the City of London in 1875 by George Watson Neish. In 1894 Neish was joined in partnership by John Embleton Macfarlane and the firm moved to premises in Watling Street. The firm's offices suffered bomb damage during the Second World War. In 1958 the firm moved to a new office, Dowgate Hill House. In 1962 the firm adopted its current name Macfarlanes, named after then-senior partner Craig Macfarlane. The firm has grown organically over the years to its current size and has never merged.
In September 2010 Macfarlanes advised Four Seasons Health Care, the largest UK-based care home group, on the restructuring of its £1.6 billion debt facilities. In October 2010 the firm announced that it would be introducing a new senior solicitor level from early 2011. In July 2012 Macfarlanes advised Stanhope, backed by Mitsui Fudosan UK and the Alberta Investment Management Corporation, on its purchase of the BBC Television Centre.
In January 2012 Macfarlanes was joined by a nine-strong team from the boutique specialist hedge fund law firm, D Harris & Co International Limited, to complement the firm’s existing hedge funds practice.
In September 2013 Macfarlanes advised Verizon Communications on its acquisition of Vodafone's 45 per cent interest in Verizon Wireless for $130 billion, one of the biggest deals in corporate history.
It was named Law Firm of the Year at the British Legal Awards 2014.
Main practice areas
Macfarlanes' main practice areas are:
- banking and finance;
- corporate and regulatory investigations;
- financial services regulation;
- hedge funds;
- investment funds;
- intellectual property;
- litigation and dispute resolution;
- private client;
- real estate;
- restructuring and insolvency; and
- "Macfarlanes". The Lawyer. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "Key Facts". Macfarlanes. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Macfarlanes revenue up by 22 per cent as net profit rises by almost a third". The Lawyer. 9 July 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Silver Circle". The Lawyer. 3 September 2007. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "'Silver circle' firms upset the legal order". The Times. 28 August 2005. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "Focus: Macfarlanes: Mac to the future". The Lawyer. 1 November 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "Macfarlanes". Legal Week. 14 December 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Corporate charmer coaxing cash for children's charity". The Guardian. 9 May 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "New chief spearheads Macfarlanes' LLP switch". The Lawyer. 6 May 2008. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "Macfarlanes instructed on Four Seasons Debt Restructure". The Lawyer. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Macfarlanes introduces senior associate tier". The Lawyer. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Macfarlanes, Hogan Lovells switched on for £200m BBC TV Centre sale". Legal Week. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "Macfarlanes bolts on boutique in funds boost". The Lawyer. 16 January 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- Beioley, Kate. "Macfarlanes and Slaughters lead as Verizon buys Vodafone stake". The Lawyer. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Peston, Robert. "BBC News - Vodafone sells Verizon stake for $130bn". BBC.co.uk. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Macfarlanes, Mishcon de Reya and LV among prize winners at British Legal Awards 2014". LegalWeek.com. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Practice areas". Macfarlanes LLP. Retrieved 6 April 2011.