|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|• Mayor||Joichi Ishizaka|
|• Total||71.62 km2 (27.65 sq mi)|
|Population (October 1, 2010)|
|• Density||5,928.65/km2 (15,355.1/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Japanese Zelkova|
|- Flower||Scarlet Sage|
|- Bird||Common Kingfisher|
|Address||1-20-23 Nakamachi, Machida-shi, Tokyo
As of October 1, 2010, the city has an estimated population of 424,669 and a population density of 5,928.65 persons per km². The total area is 71.63 km². Machida is also the home of Obirin University and Tamagawa University.
- - Tamasakai -
Machida operates its public elementary and junior high schools.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education operates the following public high schools.
- Machida High School
- Machida Sogo High School
- Machida Technical High School
- Naruse High School
- Nozuta High School
- Ogawa High School
- Yamasaki High School
Machida also has the following private high schools.
- Nihon University 3rd High School
- Obirin High School
- Tamagawa University High School
List of mayors
- Tokichiro Aoyama (1958–1970)
- Katsumasa Oshita (1970–1990)
- Kazuo Terada (1990–2006)
- Joichi Ishizaka (2006–2010)
Notable residents and people from Machida
- Ami Onuki, Half of the J-pop group Puffy
- Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokémon, who also based Pallet Town on this town in the original Pokémon Red and Blue.
Sites to see
- Machida Squirrel Garden
- Tadao Park
- Grandberry Mall
- F.C. Machida Zelvia, a football club based in Machida
Media related to Machida, Tokyo at Wikimedia Commons
- Machida City official website (Japanese)