Machine Gun (Commodores album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Studio album by Commodores|
|Released||July 22, 1974|
|Recorded||1972 - 1974 at Motown Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA|
|Producer||James Anthony Carmichael Commodores|
Machine Gun is the debut studio album by The Commodores, released on July 22, 1974, on Motown Records. Unlike subsequent Commodores albums, Machine Gun has only funk music and is devoid of slow-paced ballads.
The titular lead song has Milan Williams on clavinet, which led the Motown executive Berry Gordy to name the song "Machine Gun" as the clavinet work reminded him of gunfire. This track peaked at #7 on the R&B charts, while reaching #22 on the overall pop charts. Samples from the song were used prominently by the Beastie Boys in their 1989 song "Hey Ladies," and the song itself was featured on the soundtrack for the 1997 film Boogie Nights. In the early 1980s the tune was also used as the opening theme of the New Zealand music show Ready to Roll.
The second single to be released, "I Feel Sanctified", reached #12 on the R&B charts, and concerns a man spiritually blessed by his girlfriend's love. The song has Ronald LaPread on bass guitar, while Lionel Richie and William King contributed horn arrangements. The tune has an a capella introduction with three-way harmonization.
"The Bump" became a radio and dancehall staple, with Richie and Walter Orange on vocals calling to female listeners to "...do the bump, do the bump, baby!"
"The Assembly Line" and "The Zoo (The Human Zoo)" are both socially charged songs concerning the challenges faced by those who try to make a difference in society. "The Zoo" has an introduction with Williams playing a melody which resembles circus music.
The remaining songs are also funk tunes. On "Superman", Richie sings from the point of view of the superhero himself.
- "Machine Gun" (Milan Williams) - 2:41
- "Young Girls are My Weakness" (William King, Ronald LaPread) - 3:02
- "I Feel Sanctified" (Lionel Richie, Jeffrey Bowen, Ronald LaPread, Walter Orange, Milan Williams, Thomas McClary) - 3:46
- "The Bump" (Milan Williams) - 4:10
- "Rapid Fire" (Milan Williams) - 3:04
- "The Assembly Line" (Gloria Jones, Pam Sawyer) - 5:12
- "The Zoo (The Human Zoo)" (Gloria Jones, Pam Sawyer) - 3:05
- "Gonna Blow Your Mind" (Thomas McClary, Walter Orange, Milan Williams) - 5:42
- "There's a Song in My Heart" (Lionel Richie) - 2:42
- "Superman" (Lionel Richie) - 2:38
|"I Feel Sanctified"||75||12||—|