Macintosh Quadra 950
||March 18, 1992
||October 14, 1995
||7.0.1-7.5.1, later 7.5.3-8.1, or with PowerPC upgrade, OS 9.1; A/UX
||Motorola 68040 @ 33 MHz
||4 MB, expandable to 256 MB (80 ns 30-pin SIMM)
The Macintosh Quadra 950 was the third desktop computer in Apple Computer's Quadra line. Like its predecessors, it was based on Motorola's 68040 microprocessor rather than the 68LC040 (which lacked an on-board FPU). It replaced the Quadra 900, increasing the CPU clock rate from 25 MHz to 33 MHz, and improving the graphics support. The two computers were otherwise identical.
In 1993, the 950 was overtaken in performance by the less expensive Quadra 800 and 840AV. The newer Quadras had the addition of interleaved RAM, as well as an enhanced video system and SCSI bus. However, their more compact (minitower) case proved difficult to work with, and the 950 (due to its enormous case) was kept in continued production for the server market, outliving the 800 and 840AV.
The Quadra 950 was discontinued in 1995, being replaced by the more powerful Power Macintosh line of PowerPC computers. It was one of the last 68k models to be discontinued, due to its high RAM capacity and large number of NuBus slots.
This computer used a key to lock the power and reset buttons, or to lock the keyboard/mouse access.
- Processor: Motorola 68040
- Processor Speed: 33 MHz
- Processor Cache: 8 KiB L1
- Processor Bus Speed: 33 MHz
- Hard Drive: 230 MB - 1 GB
- Media drives: 2x CD-ROM drive, 1.44 MB floppy drive, optional DDSDC drive
- Software: Mac OS 7.1 - 8.1
- Logicboard RAM: None
- Maximum RAM: 256 MB
- Type of RAM Slots 16 - 30 pin SIMM
- Minimum RAM Speed: 80 ns
- Interleaving Support: No
- Display Connection: DB-15
- Graphics Card: None
- Graphics memory: 1 - 2 MB (four sockets)
- Expansion Slots: 5 - NuBus, 1 - PDS
- Hard Drive Bus: SCSI
- Backup Battery: 3.6 V Lithium
- Max Watts: 303 W
- Ports: AAUI-15 Ethernet, DB-25, 2 Serial, 3.5-mm mono input jack, 3.5-mm stereo output jack
- ^ a b Physical memory is specified using binary meanings for K (10241 instead of 10001), M (10243 instead of 10001), G (10243 instead of 10001), ...