Macquarie Radio Network
- Not to be confused with the unrelated Macquarie Regional RadioWorks; see Southern Cross Media.
Macquarie National News is the name of the news service of Macquarie Radio Network.
Historically, Macquarie began broadcasting when 2GB first went on the air in 1926. The Macquarie Network itself was formed in 1938. By the late 1980s it was Australia's only national commercial radio network encompassing 2GB Sydney, 3AW Melbourne, 4BH Brisbane, 5DN Adelaide, 6PR Perth, 2CA Canberra and 2WL Wollongong. However, during the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s, there were a number of other such networks, the major one being the Major Network During the last three decades, a number of new networks have arisen, including the Macquarie Regional RadioWorks, unrelated to the Macquarie Radio Network. In 2007, 13 networks owned or controlled 80 per cent of the 26 Australian commercial radio stations 
In 2010, Macquarie joined forces with Pacific Star Network to launch Melbourne's revamped 3MP as MTR 1377. On 2 March 2012, MTR ceased operations when Pacific Star was unable to pay any monies owed to Macquarie.
On 31 August 2011, Macquarie acquired the Smart Radio Network which encompasses 4VL, Triple CCC FM, 4HI, 4ZR, 4LM, 4SB and Hot Country network at a cost of $6 million. These stations are part of Macquarie Regional Radio, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Macquarie Radio Network.
In December 2014, Macquarie announced that it had agreed to a merger with Fairfax Media. Under the deal, Fairfax will gain a 55% share in the Macquarie Radio Network, with Macquarie's existing shareholders holding the remaining 45%. To comply with legislation only allowing two radio licences to be held by one party in each market, some stations including 2CH and the Macquarie Regional Radio network will be sold. The merger was completed in March 2015.
- 2GB 873 AM - News talk - Sydney, New South Wales
- 2UE 954 AM - News talk - Sydney, New South Wales
- 3AW 693 AM - News talk - Melbourne, Victoria
- Magic 1278 AM - Oldies/easy listening - Melbourne, Victoria
- 4BC 1116 AM - News talk - Brisbane, Queensland
- Magic 882 AM - Oldies/easy listening - Brisbane, Queensland
- 6PR 882 AM - News talk - Perth, Western Australia
To be sold
- 2CH 1170 AM - Oldies - Sydney, New South Wales
- 4HI 1143 AM - Classic hits - Emerald, Queensland
- 4LM 666 AM - Classic hits - Mount Isa, Queensland
- 4SB 1071 AM - Classic hits - Kingaroy, Queensland
- 4VL 918 AM - Classic hits - Charleville, Queensland
- Triple C FM 101.7 FM - Adult contemporary - Charleville, Queensland
- 4ZR 1476 AM - Classic hits - Roma, Queensland
- Hot Country Queensland 1611 AM/1629 AM - Country music - Dalby/Goondiwindi/St. George/Roma, Queensland
- "The Magic Spark", R.R. Walker, 1973, The Hawthorn Press.
- The Major Network was formed in 1938 by Mr Dave Worrall, manager of 3DB, Melbourne. It lasted until the late 1970s, and included stations in most capital cities, ie 2UE, 3DB, 4BK, 5AD, 6PR, 7HT.
- Other former radio networks include: Federal Network; Associated Broadcasters of Australia; AWA Broadcasting. There were also a number of State-based networks.
- Changing Stations: The Story of Australian Commercial Radio, Bridget Griffen-Foley, UNSW Press, 2009; referenced as Commercial Radio: A Snapshot, CRA, Sydney, 2007
- Butler, Ben; Battersby, Lucy (2 March 2012). "'No worries' as MTR goes off the air". The Age (First ed.) (Fairfax Media). p. 6. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- Fairfax and Macquarie to merge radio networks ABC News 22 December 2014
- "And the deal is done...finally!". Radio Today. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "MRN Fairfax merger complete". Radioinfo. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.