|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2007)|
Macrognathia refers to the condition of abnormally large jaws. It is also called 'megagnathia'.
- Pituitary gigantism
- Paget's disease of bone (osteitis deformans)
- Leontiasis ossea
- Mandibular protrusion (when mandible is affected)
- "Gummy smile" (when maxilla is affected)
- Ramus of mandible forms a less steep angle with body of mandible
- Mandibular prognathism caused by excessive condylar growth
- Chin appears prominent
Treatment is surgical. Osteotomies may be done in case of maxillary macrognathia. Mandibular macrognathia is generally managed by resection of a portion of the mandible followed by orthodontic treatment.