The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
|The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012|
Japanese DVD cover
|Genre||Drama, Mecha, Military Science Fiction|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Shoji Kawamori|
|Released||21 June 1987|
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012 (超時空要塞マクロス Flash Back 2012 Chō Jikū Yōsai Makurosu Furasshu Bakku 2012?) is a 1987 collection of music videos from the The Super Dimension Fortress Macross animated television series (1982–1983) and the Macross: Do You Remember Love? theatrical film remake (1984). Released to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the series, it also contains several minutes of new footage that depicted story events that were initially planned but not animated for the endings of the television series (the launch of the Megaroad colonization ship captained by Misa Ichijyo) and the film (the final concert on Earth for Lynn Minmay). Preliminary designs were created for these story events in the production of the earlier works, but Flash Back 2012 was the first time that these events were animated (The earlier preliminary designs were replaced with new designs by the original director/mechanical designer Shoji Kawamori, original character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto, and original mechanical designer Kazutaka Miyatake). The premise of the collection is a farewell concert by Lynn Minmay, who is leaving the Earth on its first long-distance colony vessel, Megaroad-01.
According to the "official" Macross chronology, the SDF-2 Megaroad-01 fleet vanished 4 years later while traveling near the center of the galaxy during the new expedition (in July 2016 A.D.) and was never heard from again. Lynn Minmay was among the missing.
The following Minmay songs are featured in Flash Back 2012:
- Angel's Paints (Tenshi no Enogu) (Part 1)
- Sunset Beach
- 0-G Love
- Shao Pai Long (小白竜)
- Silver Moon, Red Moon
- Love Passes Away (Ai wa Nagareru) Part 2
- Do You Remember Love? (Ai, Oboete imasu ka)
- Angel's Paints (Tenshi no Enogu) (Part 2)
- Runner (end credits)
- Duet with Makoto Fujiwara
- Best Hit Series: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012 Graffiti. Shogakukan, Japan. Y910. 1987.
- "Translation & Cultural Notes". The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Liner Notes. AnimEigo. 2001-12-21. Retrieved 2009-07-11. "Originally, the creators wanted to end the series with the launch of the SDF-2 and the newly-wed Ichijo Misa in her new captain's uniform. Mechanical designer Miyatake Kazutaka and character designer Mikimoto Haruhiko even drew new designs appropriate for the occasion. Unfortunately, the sequence was never animated. The creators finally got the chance to redesign and animate the SDF-2 Megaroad launch (along with the Minmay Sayonara Concert that was planned but canceled for the Do You Remember Love? movie ending) four years later. The conclusion of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay's story appears in the 1987 music video The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012."
- Macross Chronology - Loss of the Megaroad-01. Retrieved on 05-17-09.
Official site: Macross Official Web Site (Japanese) Others:
- Macross Flash Back 2012 at the Internet Movie Database
- Macross Flash Back 2012 (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Macross Mecha Manual A website profiling the fictional vehicles of the Macross series
- Flash Back 2012 entry on Macross Compendium
|This anime original video animation–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|