Madani High School
|Type||Voluntary aided school|
|Location||77 Evington Valley Road
|Colours||Navy Blue and Black|
|Website||Madani Schools Federation|
Madani Schools Federation is a Muslim secondary school in Leicester, England. Based in the Evington district, Madani High caters for the city's Muslim population, with 300 places for boys and girls each. The building itself, designed by Leicester firm Pick Everard, is state-of-the-art with an Islamic design including an Arabic-style courtyard. There is also an associated community centre and madrassa.
The school has received much press attention as a Muslim secondary school where it is held up as a model for faith schools. Conversely, there has been controversy when it was announced that non-Muslim girls would be forced to wear the hijab. The school also attracted controversy after backtracking on earlier commitments that it would take 10% of its intake from a non-Muslim background. The Headteacher now states that this will only happen once demand from the Muslim community is met. This is in part because in its first year the school received no applications from non-Muslim families. The school has also won architectural awards including the Community Benefit award in the regional finals of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors awards in May 2008 and will compete in the international finals in the autumn. It is the first state funded Muslim school in the East-Midlands, as 90% of the £18m came from the government, with the Muslim community in Leicester raising the rest.
- Learning to be British and Muslim - Article by Cristina Odone on Timesonline
- Non-Muslim students at Islamic school forced to wear headscarves Article from the Daily Mail
- "And How Does Madani High School Fit The Community Cohesion Agenda? | National Secular Society". Secularism.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- Islamic School Criticised. "Leicester - Faith - Islamic School Criticised". BBC. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- High School Hopes Article from Leicester Mercury
- Multi Faith schools BBC report October 2007
- Madani High School Official Site
- Profile of Madani High School
- Faith in the system from the Department for Children, Schools and Families