Madden NFL 12
|Madden NFL 12|
Madden NFL 12 cover featuring Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis.
HB Studios - Wii / PSP / PS2
|Genre(s)||American football simulation|
Madden NFL 12 is an American football video game based on the National Football League published by EA Sports and developed by EA Tiburon. It was released on August 30, 2011 in North America and September 2, 2011 in Europe. It was available on August 27, 2011 to EA Sports Season Ticket subscribers for a three-day trial. It was the last Madden NFL game to be released for the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable.
EA Sports added 25 new plays to Madden NFL 12.
- Rookies now have real faces, but they are that only of current NFL players.
- The Madden Developers team is available in Play Now mode by pressing random team.
- Various NFL players can be found in the free agents.
- The kickoffs are now at the 35-yard line rather than the 30-yard line, to match the NFL's rule changing.
- Onside kicks can be executed from standard kickoff formations.
- Tuner or for developers to improve gameplay code without the distribution of official patches.
- To support awareness for concussions, players who suffer a concussion during gameplay will no longer be allowed to return to the game.
- A new collision system uses momentum to produce more authentic tackling and hits with 100 new tackle animations, including 40 gang tackles.
- AI enhancements allow players in zone and man coverage to correctly recognize and react to plays with the capability to break out of assignments when necessary.
- The custom playbooks feature allows the player to modify an existing playbook or create his or her own by selecting plays from 75 playbooks.
- The opening presentation for games includes mascots and cheerleaders for all teams that have them.
- Player traits change dynamically throughout a game based on his performance.
- Quarterbacks have distinct throwing motions, making them look much more like their real-life counterparts.
- During free agency in franchise mode, players bid auction-style against other general managers for free agents.
- Expanded rosters in the preseason allow teams to have 75 players on the roster and need to make roster cuts each week.
- Unlike previous versions of Madden NFL, players can trade for future draft picks.
- There are also hot and cold streaks that will affect player ratings throughout the season.
- When a player is placed on Injured Reserve, a new player may be signed without having to cut anyone.
On March 21, 2011, EA began a bracket style 32-player tournament (with one player per team) for fans to vote and decide who would appear on the cover for the 2012 edition of Madden. The two players in the final round of the tournament were running back Peyton Hillis of the Cleveland Browns and quarterback Michael Vick of the Philadelphia Eagles. Peyton Hillis was announced as the winner on ESPN's SportsNation by a score of 66% to 34%.
- "6 Foot 7 Foot" – Lil Wayne featuring Cory Gunz
- "All Around The World" – Theophilus London
- "Architects" – Rise Against
- "Award Tour" – A Tribe Called Quest
- "Back For More" – Five Finger Death Punch
- "Boom" – Snoop Dogg featuring T-Pain
- "Bridge Burning" – Foo Fighters
- "Champion" - Chipmunk featuring Chris Brown
- "Colours" – Grouplove
- "Don't Play Me Close" - David Rush
- "Get Up!" - Korn featuring Skrillex
- "Get the — Up" – Yelawolf
- "Ghetto Dreams" – Common featuring Nas
- "I Want It All"/"We Will Rock You" – Queen featuring Armageddon
- "Last Man Standing" – Asher Roth featuring Akon
- "Make Some Noise" – Beastie Boys
- "Mind Your Manners" – Chiddy Bang featuring Icona Pop
- "Money for the Weekend (Pocket Full of Shame)" – Alberta Cross
- "On Ya Mind" – MellowHype
- "Pass Out" – Tinie Tempah
- "That Ain't Classy" – Classified
- "They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)" – Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Release and reception
As of October 2011, over 3 million copies of the game have been sold across all platforms.
Hall of Fame edition
A special "Hall of Fame" cover was also announced, with Madden NFL 2003 cover athlete and 2011 Hall of Fame inductee Marshall Faulk appearing in his St. Louis Rams uniform. One of four autographed Panini trading cards featuring Faulk is included in each copy. Two valuable cards (one for the Xbox 360 and one for the PlayStation 3) are made up of 18 karat gold. In Ultimate Team mode, there is a Platinum Pack featuring thirteen Hall of Famers and former cover athletes. This version is only available in region 1 formats for sale in the United States.
- "HB Studios". HB Studios. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Nunneley, Stephany (7 September 2011). "Madden 12 sells through 1.4 million copies in first week". VG247. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- DeVries, Jack. "New Madden NFL 12 Release Date". IGN.
- McElroy, Griffin (July 27, 2011). "Madden NFL 12 demo coming August 9, pits Bears against Packers". joystiq.com. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Padre, Pasta. "Final Set of New Plays in Madden 2012". pastapadre. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- "No more Blank rookie pictures for madden 10 - Madden 13 | Madden 13 tips | Madden cheats". Thegamerslab.com. 2009-05-27. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Madden NFL 12 - Unlock developers team". GameBandits.com. 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Female Quarterback In-Game - Operation Sports Forums". Operationsports.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- Magrino, Tony (March 30, 2011). "Madden 12 gets serious about concussions - Report". gamespot.com. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- "Official Presentation Website Of Madden NFL 12". EA sports. April 28, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Madden NFL 12 Cover vote". ESPN. March 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- "Peyton Hillis wins Madden 12 vote". ESPN.com. April 27, 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "Madden NFL 12 Soundtrack". pastapadre.com. 2011-06-21. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Madden NFL 12 Xbox 360". Metacritic. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Madden NFL 12 PlayStation 3". Metacritic. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Madden NFL 12 iOS". Metacritic. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Tom Magrino (2011-10-27). "Battlefield 3 ships 10 million". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Robinson, Jon (May 31, 2011). "'Madden 12 Hall of Fame Edition' detailed". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- "Madden NFL 12 Cover Art Revealed With Hall of Fame Edition Details with Video". Operation Sports. Retrieved 2012-08-17.